Three

Serenity and Xaylah were waiting for her when she exited the courtroom, along with the rest of the cadre and other dallying court members.

Lorcan quickly whispered something indistinguishable in Serenity's ear while the female's face stayed blank; Mala
mentally noted to ask about it later, there were rarely secrets between the three of them.

Aedion ruffled Xaylah's hair before he made his way past them, though his muscles were taunt and he radiated anxiousness.

The king and queen did not exit the courtroom.

Mala suspected her father was busy attempting her mother to stay put, and she expected he would try to be very, very, convincing.

So convincing, that Mala didn't even want to think about the thought for a moment longer.

The three females were left to their own devices once the hallway became empty, the doors to the courtroom entirely shut.

Mala was eternally grateful for that.

"So, I assume we're going to go check it out?" Serenity announced airily, not bothering for any decencies.

"Quite frankly, I'm surprised they have so much faith that we wouldn't do such a thing in the first place," Xaylah commented.

"Do any of you know where it's located?" Mala asked, assuming one of them did.

Serenity nodded.

"My father hinted it to me," a cunning grin coming across her face, light sparkling in her eyes.

"It's in the mountains, I think I have a pretty clear idea of which cave it's in, and there's probably a few guards stationed outside of it so we'll know exactly where it is," she stated smugly, pleased with herself for figuring it out.

Xaylah nodded, taking in the information while Mala inquired of a few more details of when they would analyze the cave.

Once they all agreed on a solid date and time, they went their separate ways.

Mala's mind was whirling as she made her way through the winding corridors.

The Terresan castle had only recently finished being redone completely, under her parents' command that the reconstruction on Terresan must be executed fully before doing so.

Now, with the castle refurnished, Mala could see that her parents finally felt at peace.

That they finally felt like they could relax and tend to their duties without having to worry about any ongoing events.

They were in tranquility, and Mala could see that they were overjoyed, and she had a slight suspicion that she may have a younger sibling on the way.

Not that she would ever say such an assumption out loud.

But the signs were definitely there.

Mala yearned that peace would remain, and that the discovery of a Wyrdgate wouldn't disturb things as they were.

Investigating it herself, with her best friends, seemed ever so more appealing now that she had things figured out.

And if anything happened to her, she knew that her mother and father would be safe, and they were more than capable of producing another heir.

~short ch i apologize <3