Eighteen

"Would you like to see Velaris?"

Mala looked up at him, studying his chiseled face, who's gaze rested on hers before answering.

"I would like that, thank you."

Thanking him for so much more than that. Thanking him for letting her exit the confrontation with Eris before she was further sickened. Thanking him for being so protective, even though it wasn't entirely necessary. And thanking him for trusting her enough to show her his city. His city, because he was apparently a prince. Which he hadn't trusted Mala enough to let her know or give her a heads up, but she let it slide for now. His actions just now proved that she had someone covering her blind spots, and that someone in this world had her back, at least she hoped so. If he ever betrayed her she would never forgive him, even though she was sure her heart would eventually do so, battling her head for sense.

Nyx took her hand in his and squeezed it in warning before he winnowed away. At least he let her know he was going to do it this time. When they arrived elsewhere through winnow travel, there was no sickness that overtook her, even without being in overly close contact with Nyx. Perhaps he had just been fibbing about that and all she needed was to have gotten used to the surrounding shadowy magic.

What wasn't dark or covered in shadows was the place she had been winnowed to. Velaris, which she had only seen from the window in Nyx's room was even more breathtaking up close. Before she could begin to gawk open-mouthed at every little thing, Nyx cut in.

"I'll admit, I much prefer this place rather than Illyrian encampments, so please don't set anything on fire princess."

If he really didn't have confidence that she wouldn't burn this place to the ground, he must love this place. If she were a worser person she might just light a spark in her palm to give him a quick scare. But she wasn't that mean; at least most of the time she wasn't. There were many similarities between them it seemed, many that she hadn't even learned yet. Her and him were both heirs to thrones, and loved their lands and people so much it hurt. What kind of cruel trick was this unannounced fate trying to pull on her by introducing Nyx to her?

Deciding not to dwell on it any further, she was pleasantly surprised when she found her hand still intertwined with Nyx's. Pleasantly meaning that she felt obligated to pull him with her when she became determined to sightsee. Since he didn't object, neither did she, and their hands stayed as they were.

Shops and buildings were bustling and filled with bright eyed and cheerful fae, and children messed around in the busy streets where fae walked about. Something of note that she noticed however was that there were no humans anywhere at all. Additionally, nobody even blinked an eye at her at Nyx, with them being all to absorbed with their daily lives. Still, even as the similarities between her home and Velaris were almost too much to handle, Mala kept the smile on her face. She made it her mission to know what fae were like in cities like this, without being introduced with an all hight and mighty ruler. Mala wanted to know how Nyx handled ruling, what he did, and how he did it. Though it seemed that he didn't do much of it, and the fae here were perfectly content and didn't need to curtsy or bow in his presence, only a slight bow of the head was required most of the time when fae noticed him it appeared so.

Fantastically caught up in the city, Mala wandered throughout the streets, greeting all types of fae and stopping inside all types of shops to look around. If she were to ever return home—no, when she would return home, she would need a souvenir to bring back with her, a keepsake of the sorts to remind her of Velaris.

Nyx dutifully stayed by her side, hand in hand and never breaking a stride to slow her down. Not at all was there a complaint, and he somehow gained great joy and amusement seeing Mala gather the eminence of her surroundings. She didn't complain either, not even when she felt as if her feet were on fire and the muscles in her jaw were broken from smiling too long. How could one complain after discovering and exploring a grand new place for themselves?

The winged Illyrian a step behind her stopped, his wings stiffening and his eyes tapering with cold blue precision. They were in an alleyway at that moment, having come to see an artistic mural painted at the back wall. Nyx's eyes darted around as if searching for something.

Or someone.

Mala couldn't shake the slimy feeling from crawling up her back and the thought of someone creeping up on them from embedding itself in her mind. Out of pure instinct, for someone strange and ethreal reason, something tugged at her to take a step closer to Nyx. But for what reason? For most of her time here, her powers had been steadily filling the giant unending well of magic inside her, growing more dangerous by the day. If anyone were to attack her she should have no problem with fending them off. Maybe it was just Nyx's domineering mien and the way he commanded everyone around him to stay back and allow him to do the dirty work is what edged her on to step into his presence.

It didn't jar him at all, it just caused him to take a further step closer to her and curl a wing around the side of her. His hand found its way to the space of her waist and she became aware of his build and solid chest at her back.

In the shrouded back corner of the alley, one not covered by paint, shadows shifted wildly. A maniacal laugh cut through the air, bouncing across the walls of the passageway. Nyx's arm replaced itself from her back to her hip, pulling Mala closer to him. His hold on her was stiff, and she could feel him holding back to keep from squeezing her too harshly. Under normal circumstances, she would step away and give him a piece of her mind about his disorderly behavior, but it was not normal circumstances.

The provider of the unhinged laugh took a step out of the corner. From what Mala could tell, he was wearing fine made clothes and polished boots that all fit snug and perfectly on him so she could see the outlines of his shapen muscles. The male took another step forward. He was ghostly pale and had golden hair that shined even in the corner's shadowy darkness. Brown, hazel eyes that pooled like melted chocolatey sweets were set on Mala, and the smile that ran across his face did not make her feel any better about his unspoken intentions. Who was this fae?

And what did he want with her?

~tev <3