Thirty Four

The time spent training with the Valkyries passed by in a hazy blur. Remembering the events made her brain foggy with exhaustion, all the pent up tension and energy washed out of her. Mala ran through the numerous obstacle courses a multitude of times, each course different in its own way.

Sweat dripped from her brow, the mental stability she had a loose hold on quickly slipping. Never had she thought that a mind-stilling technique such as the one Nesta had taught her would be so effective and valuable. She listened carefully to what the other Valkyries instructed, paying extra attention to detail to assure that she learned things as they were properly done, to be the most successful that she could be able to do.

In turn, she taught a few of her own techniques to the Valkyries that she anticipated might be of use to them. She sat down on the bench that had previously used earlier that day, breathing hard. Her head was pounding, dizzyingly fast. She closed her eyes, the world spinning. She was completely spent.

Putting her head back to rest against the wall, she could feel someone else sit down beside her.

"Did you enjoy yourself?"

Mala didn't even have to open her eyes to know who it was.

"I did," she said, tired yet invigorated with Nyx beside her.

"Well, now that you're all tired, I think I stand a chance against you. Would you like to go a round or two dearest?" his voice was as regal and as polished as ever, making her heart flutter at the promise of close proximity with him once again.

Though the more appealing part of his question was the promise of a fight. Exhaustion hung over her like a haunting ghoul, but she still proceeded to open her eyes; determined to see what Nyx was capable of once again.

The male next to her trailed a hand down her arm, before reaching her hand. His fingers grasped around it, a less than equal comparison. He squeezed it assuringly, though Mala interpreted it to a mild jest, that the potential that Nyx would win was guaranteed in his eyes.

She wasn't so sure about it though.

She could feel Nyx stand up, his wings brushing her shoulder ever so slightly. He pulled at the hand he had grubbed, tugging for her to follow.

Mala groaned, her bones tired and weary, but mostly just wanting to be dramatic. She squinted open her eyes, blinking at the male in front of her.

He was smiling, amused.

Briefly, she wondered why else he would be smiling besides finding her dramatics entertaining, caught off guard by the strange look in his eyes when his gaze was on her.

With a final sigh, she finally stood, still holding tightly onto Nyx's hand.

She smirked, "May the best win."

They shook on it.

~tev <3