Thirty Eight

"What do you intend to say by can't?" she asked warily, all too keen of the growling beast below them.

Nyx winced.

"Take a look dearest..." he trailed off and images began to flow into her head.

An unlocked memory of Nyx's of a tracking animal next to another memory of wild animal muzzles popped up in her head. Mala quickly compared it to the beast below them. The realization washed off of her and she understood his conclusion at once.

She was speechless, but she knew what to do. With the beast snapping it's wide jaw and jumping at them, she evaluated the territory around it to come up with an adequate strategy.

"What do you propose we do? It's a tracker, it'll die before it loses us," Nyx asked.

She noticed a tiny drop in their height in the air before Nyx forced his wings to push them back up. The beast roared, frustrated.

With her own weight added to his body's, she assumed his wings would become sluggish after preforming the same movement continuously for so long.

Gauging their circumstance more quickly than before, she communicated the plan she had fabricated in her head with her thoughts to him. He shifted his hands around her and nodded, a solemn look on his face.

"I'll back you up," was all he said.

With a final nod from Mala, he dropped her. Flipping in midair, she narrowly dodged the snapping jaws of the creature by ferociously twisting with fae-like strength.

Nyx remained in the sky, a menacing look then projected onto his face, distracting the beast as it seemed fully immersed in attempted to chew the Illyrian up. Mala got to her footing and focused her mind quickly, not having much time.

The deep well inside of her was already filled and there was no need for her to reach into her reserves. Delving into the liquid fire buried under her skin, she flexed her hands, preparing to strike. Sparks flew from her hands in anticipation.

Crack.

Shit.

The beast hadn't been distracted, it had been faking it.

Mala was slammed into a tree trunk and quickly maneuvered her body sideways as the creature strived to take a second swipe at her with its huge clawed paw.

Something tugged at the back of her mind, and she could hardly make it out to be something close to concern or worry.

She shook the strange feeling off. It was hard enough to discern her mind when fire roared in her veins.

The monster snorted in rage.

It was a truly ugly animal.

Most of the time, Mala tried to see the good in most organisms, looking past their looks.

But not this one.

It had mottled black skin, dried blood caking its mouth, and lone patches of fur sticking up at random places. Its eyes were crazed lightbulbs of frenzied determination.

Determination to hunt.

And kill.

Mala had been awarded with the eyes of a fiend set on her.

Whether she liked it or not.

~caught covid, srry for delay <3