Seventeen

The walk wasn't long by the time they reached the castle entrance. What Nyx had them do what Mala hadn't expected was to lead them through a back door. The back door ushered them through to the back of the throne room; the only way she knew was because Nyx had said so.

"Quiet now, we're in the throne room and we mustn't make a sound," Nyx hushed Mala before she had even spoken.

He propelled her forward with a push with his hand to her back, keeping a careful eye out for anyone else. Nyx carefully guided her forward until they came to another door, one he didn't even have to touch before a shadow like hand had turned the knob. How strange this fae world was, with its telepathic citizens and mobile shadows that transported you anywhere you wished.

"Mala!" was the first word she heard when the door swung open.

"Mor!" she exclaimed, throwing her hands up to hug the female.

They hadn't known each other long, but their bonding session with clothes made up for any awkwardness that might have transpired in the time that they were kept apart. Mala still hadn't forgotten how easily Mor had givin up her secrets though; but as a princess you mustn't judge too harshly based on someone's past actions. To add on to that, she probably would have done the same to keep her country safe. It's not as if she could do that any longer though, seeing as she wasn't even in Terresan to protect it anymore.

Mor squeezed her tight in their friendly embrace, rocking back and forth as they hugged, fastened together like Mala would be when she was holding on for dear life to a ruk.

"I was tired of waiting, I thought Cassian would start retching from staring too long at the two lovebirds," Mor remarked and rolled her eyes.

Lovebirds?

Oh.

Oh.

The High Lord and Lady sure had it going on as Mala looked to her side to the throne. It was like some sort of backstage area that the four of them were in while... While the leaders of the Night Court dallied on the throne. And of course doing so couldn't be done without hundreds of other fae in attendance, dancing and drinking around. Mala's face burned as she looked away. Normally she wasn't such a prude, especially with her own parents being such proud mates and such, but the High Lord and Lady...Wow...

"They're usually not that revolting most of the time... I take that back it's quite common for them, I do apologize," Cassian commented from his spot where he was leaning on a wall, his wings fluttering slightly.

Mala's lips twitched and she answered in response, "Do they always put on such a display?"

"No, only when they want to show how much power they have over the inhabitants that live in this wretched city. Many of the fae who live here make this place the nightmare it is," Nyx declared from her side, jaw as set as stone.

"I do hope that this time they have a female though, I don't think I could stand to have another Nyx running around and terrorizing everyone," Mor comments, snickering.

Mala choked. That's when it hit her. That's why Nyx was so important and knew all these high and powerful fae. He was one of them, the prince even, or whatever they called him here. No wonder he couldn't care less about Mala's title, he had the same one.

Nyx winked at her as a fae with red hair who seemed to radiate arrogance stepped up to face the throne. And of course to face the High Lord and Lady who were canoodling in it. He cleared his throat attempting to get their attention as they paid him no mind. Rhysand, the intimidating High Lord, who was also Nyx's father it appeared, finally set his eyes on the peculiar fae. Now that Mala really thought about it, the similarities between Nyx and his parents were much too great, and she chastised herself for not seeing it before.

"Rhysand, lovely to see you, and Feyre, so glad to see you're doing well," he started off, his voice crisp and polite.

The fae on the dance floor were watching him expertly with distrust, narrowing their eyes at him as he took a small bow of obedience.

"I've heard that you're in need of my assistance and have come to see if I may help," his smile was razor sharp, and his eyes looked like he wanted to do nothing more but to wipe a certain someone off the face of the earth.

Mala wondered who that could be when Rhysand and Feyre stepped off the throne and gestured the fae to follow. Nyx stepped back to Mala, curling a wing around her protectively while shadows circled her.

"They're bringing him here?" she questioned quietly to Nyx who had an indescribable look on his face.

All she got from him was a brief nod before Feyre and Rhysand entered the room, filled with poise and power. Rhysand looked over to his other side that was void of the High Lady and instead with the other fae. Mala didn't quite know what he was saying to him, with all his technical abilities and such, but when he finished, the fae was staring intently at her, eyes like vengeful burning holes. He composed himself quickly though, all it taking but a sharp breath out his nose and he was addressing her.

"Eris, pleasure to make your acquaintance Mala, I've seen so much about you," he bowed his head slightly and Mala returned it.

It was quite a strange way to greet someone, granted Rhysand probably just showed him her life's story, son of a bitch.

"Likewise, the pleasure is all mine," she responded, while alarm bells were blaring on and on inside her head.

She kept a mental note to be carful around Eris and to stay coy to make sure she didn't spill out any more of her secrets. This fae was not someone she wanted to get tangled up with, she coulf see it in both his and Nyx's eyes. While Eris's were boastful and snide, Nyx's were calculated and assessing.

Eris preened, "Yes, well, onto business I suppose. Rhysand was just asking me if I knew about how you could possibly be connected to this world at all because we share similar abilities; but alas I think you're just going to have to ask my dear old dad if you have so much faith we know anything."

Nyx scoffed, "I knew this was a waste of time."

He tried to stalk off, pulling Mala along with him but she didn't budge from her spot. "You said you had similar abilities as mine..." she remembered Eris saying not only a moment ago.

"Yes, I do believe I did."

She nodded, going on, "So you are able to
wield fire as I do?"

To answer her question he lifted his hand, palm facing upwards while flames shot out from them. It was so comparable to her's and her mother's that it cause homesickness to unfurl from her and she turned quickly, pushing at Nyx to leave. He complied, noticing that she couldn't stand to be in the same room as Eris with his alikeness to her home. Although he was probably so accommodating because he wanted to get out of there as much as Mala did.

The wing that was around her proved to be an excellent barrier to the rest of the room as her and Nyx ambled away. But it didn't exactly tune out the sickening feeling that was spreading out across her body, putting her in a miserable and longing mood for her home. Her home was Terresan, and she was here. Away and alone in a world that reminded her of her own, but one that wasn't and never would be.

~tev <3