Six

"Illyrian...?" Mala asked, clueless.

What the hell was that?

Cassian whistled, "You really don't know where you are do you?"

"I thought that was obvious," Mala lifted an eyebrow.

The male holding her against him hummed, "Illyrians are a breed of fae race, with wings and all that shit. Most of what they're good for is being utterly immodest and impudent," he added, "they also don't hold females that high in regard, so I'm warning you before hand to please keep in line, I'd rather not have to deal with any fights."

How he knew Mala had a fighting spirit, she didn't want to know.

What she did want to know was everything about this strange place.

She wanted to know more about these so called Illyrians.

"So you're an Illyrian? I thought all fae had pointed ears, not round," she questioned him, noticing his circular ears.

"Ah, well even though Illyrian's are fae, we still carry some human traits, however much we try to deny it."

There was a slight edge in his voice. Mala would have put it off weren't it for his choice of words.

"I'm taking it you aren't that friendly with humans here then," she examined him slyly, noticing how his eyes went dark at the mention of humans.

A slight nod from him was all she needed for her answer.

Mala asked another question, "So what do you Illyrian's do, besides act incompetent and misogynistic?" she fluttered her eyes up at him, trying to seem innocent and guiltless.

He scowled, "Not all of us are like that," he paused, "We're a war-race we train—a lot, and occasionally we use our skills to serve the Night Court in battle."

Mala inclined her head in understanding as they descended further in the sky towards the Illyrian base.

She could see winged figures walking around, and some fighting in a strange ring.

Their voices were loud enough that Mala could hear them from above.

"Where is that little bitch, I'm going to shred her to pieces, that fucking pickpocketer!" someone roared harshly.

"I see what you mean about them being a bit prejudiced," Mala remarked dryly.

Cassian's eyes clouded over but didn't reply.

The moment their slow descent came to a stop, Cassian untied his arms from her waist.

Mala turned around to face him. His expression was dark, probably not happy about whatever Illyrian crap he was about to deal with.

After a moment he spoke, "I'll let you explore a bit, and after I take care of some things I'll take you somewhere safer."

Mala's hair stood up. Were the Illyrians really that dreadful? And why was Cassian being so helpful? They had only met more or less an hour ago and he had already just now promised her safety. Chary, Mala still indulged Cassian's recommendation to check out the camp they had landed in.

With only a nod, Cassian took off, the other Illyrians steering clear away from him.

Hopefully they would do they same to her.

They didn't seem particularly friendly, and being a female, she was wary about bumping into any of the winged bat-like brutes.

There were little females from what Mala could see, and very many males to compare to.