Chapter four

Two months later...

They had no idea who she was, but the woman who occasionally came to see her progress called her "Asli". She apparently used to be a maid in the woman's house but she had stolen money from them and eloped with a man. Then the man had run away with the money, abandoning her, before she got into the accident.

Dr. Turgut squinted out of the window, watching as the girl tended to the flower beds in the garden, a bunch of kids- who came for therapy sessions, buzzing around her like bees. She looked up, her guileless smile brushing over them one by one. Her green eyes sparkled in the morning light.

There were also many loose ends in her story.

For an example, the woman- who called herself Suna, had sworn that the girl had never been married. But Turgut could see the strip of lighter skin around the base of her ring finger, a telltale sign of a recently removed wedding band. Suna couldn't produce any of her belongings, claiming that they'd thrown all of her stuff away after the elopement. And she'd also told them that the girl had no one in the world to look after her.

But everyday, Asli woke up to a string of names on her lips, which seemed to escape her as soon as she regained consciousness. Her rehabilitation nurse had written down those names and the Neuropsychologist had tried to penetrate her mind through them, but the girl remained an enigma.

For a whole month, she'd been in a deep coma from the injury to her head in the accident. The doctors had almost given up the hope of reviving her, when miraculously she'd opened her eyes.

At first, they had solely focused on getting her health and energy back. After hours and hours of physical therapy, exercises and careful evaluations of her muscle movements, the girl gradually healed.

Then came the tricky part. To Turgut's much chagrin, fifty years of clinical experience proved questionable when he'd almost misdiagnosed her. He'd thought it was a simple post- traumatic memory loss when in truth, the girl seemed to have disassociative amnesia. Her brain was blocking out her memories probably as a survival or recovery method.

That was why it was crucial to have something or someone from her past, to stimulate her mind and bring up those hidden memories. Suna had refused to comply with Turgut, claiming that she was being enough generous by paying all the medical bills, she had no desire to even look at the girl's face after her honorless act.

Besides, something about Suna's tale never clicked with him. He'd spent years studying behavior patterns of people and his sixth sense always tingled whenever she came near him. He was sure that something lurked under that pitying gaze. Something that urgently needed professional help.

Asli stood up, trailing towards the patch of daisies which abundantly grew all over the hospital grounds. She seemed to take a particular liking to the flower. He watched as she plucked a daisy and brought it close to her nose, her gaze distant.

That was when he decided. He couldn't just let this young girl rot in this hospital for the rest of her life. He was going to give her memories back to her. He decided to reach out through the network again- hospital policies about the confidentiality of patients be damned- and search for someone else from Asli's past.

Hopefully this time, they wouldn't come up against another blank wall.

❤️

Sorry for all the nerdy stuff about psychology. And sorry for this dark twist too.

Well, not really😏

And where's Yaman?

If you like the chapter give a vote and drop a comment 😘

-nocturnal4ever