Chapter seven

"Zuhal?" Dr. Turgut broke the sudden silence. "But your ID card stated that your name was Suna.."

Yaman snapped out of his shocked daze quickly.

"Of course!" He growled. "She's not new to forging of documents. She was in the prison for the same crime, not so long ago!"

Zuhal was still frozen at the door.

"Yaman?" She finally seemed to find her voice. "What are you guys doing here?"

During the past two months, Yaman had mostly been numb, his every waking thought consumed of finding Seher. Now he felt the familiar burn of anger filling his insides, sending blood pounding to his temples. He took a menacing step forward, only to find Nedim blocking his path.

"Yaman, wait a second", He turned to Zuhal. "Zuhal, have you known that Seher was here all along? Or did you want to spare Yaman's feelings because of her condition?"

A minute passed. Zuhal leaned back suddenly, shock fading from her dark eyes. Now those eyes almost looked.... feverish.

"This is not Seher- she's long gone", she said. "Didn't the doctor tell you? This is Asli. Asli."

"What are you saying?" Nedim's voice was sceptical. "Seher has been in a coma and now she has some little lapse in her memory. Why didn't you inform us as soon as you found out?"

Zuhal stomped her foot hard, making Seher flinch. She unconsciously tightened her grip on Yaman.

"What nonsense are you on about, Nedim? Didn't Seher leave Yaman to be with another man a long time ago? Seher, Seher- what Seher?" She demanded. "Her chapter is already closed. Enough now!"

Nedim looked back at Yaman, his gaze confused. Of course, Nedim had encountered only one version of Zuhal- the perfect businesswoman in designer clothes who spoke fluent English and Spanish, who helped him manage his work at the office. Sure, he'd known what she'd done, but he hadn't first- handedly experienced one of her crazy fits- when she would throw around stuff and scream at the top of her lungs, gasping like a bullfrog.

"Her chapter is closed?" Yaman drawled. "Who are you to close the chapter of my wife?"

Zuhal huffed.

"I'm doing what's best for you, Yaman. You'll understand it soon enough"

She whirled on the doctor, who'd been silently observing the scene unfolding infront of him.

"What kind of an incompetent doctor are you? Didn't I give you the permission to use shock therapy on her? Or give her drugs, I don't care! Just convince this woman that she's Asli, SO SHE WILL GET OUT OF YAMAN'S LIFE FOR GOOD!!"

Dr. Turgut cleared his throat.

"I didn't do it, because shock therapy could lead to permanent brain damage. Especially in Seher's case".

The woman barked out a laugh.

"All the more reason you should do it!"

Seher gasped. She slipped out of Yaman's arms and skittered a few steps back, clamping her hands over her ears, as if she wanted to block out the poisonous words spilling from Zuhal's mouth. Her big green eyes fastened on Yaman's face, brimming with unshed tears. He stared at her, his heart breaking inside of his chest. The urge to hide this tiny woman in his arms and protect her from all the evils in the world, was becoming unbearable.

"Don't be afraid", he said insistently. "Nothing will happen to you. I'll handle this".

He turned to Nedim. His friend's eyes were clouded with shock and hurt. Yaman suspected that the poor guy had developed some feelings for Zuhal, during those long hours they'd spent together at the company. Good thing he saw her true face.