Chapter sixteen

"Have you ever seen more beautiful babies, auntie?"

"They're Mr Yaman and Seher's babies, Neslihan. Is it a surprise?"

"But Neslihan abla, you said their eyes look like my auntie's. They do not...."

The sound of laughter.

"That's because they're babies, Yusufçum. In time, those eyes will darken to the same colour as your auntie's."

"Just look at them! So beautiful, aren't they?"

"They actually look like squashed potatoes, though...."

"Yusufçum!"

Seher groaned, peeling her eyes open. Her eyelids felt like they were stuck together with glue. Her mouth tasted rank and her whole body was aching.

The voices stopped, abruptly.

A door opened and hurried footsteps neared her. Something warm and heavy fell over her hand.

"She's coming around," Yaman's voice. "Seher, can you hear me?"

She squinted against the bright sunlight. The first thing she noticed was Yaman, peering at her with a worried look, holding her hand. Then the blurry faces came into focus around her, and she could see Adalet, Neslihan and Yusuf staring at her, gathered around the bed.

Seher cleared her throat, weakly. There was only one clear thought in her head.

"My babies," she croaked. "I want to see my babies."

She tried to sit up, but the pulsing pain in her lower area dragged her right back down. The anaesthesia seemed to have fully worn off by now. She groaned.

"Be careful!" Yaman said. "Here, let me help you..."

He helped her up, and wedged a couple of pillows behind her back so she would be comfortable. Her heart was beating a strange staccato in her chest.

"Are they asleep?" She asked. "I can't believe I couldn't hold them for long..."

Yaman managed a faint smile but his eyes still held a hint of worry.

"They're awake," he said. "But are you alright? You should..."

"I want to hold them!" She insisted.

Yaman nodded and left her side for a while. Yusuf took off his shoes and climbed on to the bed next to her. Adalet took a step forward.

"Be careful, Yusufçum!" She said. "Don't hurt your auntie..."

"It's okay," Seher said immediately. "Were you worried about me, sweetheart?"

"Uh huh," Yusuf nodded, staring at her imploringly. "Uncle was worried too. Everyone was worried."

She kissed his temple.

"I'm fine, see?" She felt far from being fine, but he didn't have to know that. "It's all gone..."

Her words died in her throat, when Yaman approached them, carrying a bundle in his arms, swaddled with a green blanket. He placed it in her arms, carefully.

"Oh..." Seher gasped.

She'd only caught a brief glimpse of her babies before she'd lost consciousness. But now this tiny human being was all she could see.

"This is our son," Yaman said in a soft voice.

"Our son..." She repeated, disbelievingly.

The baby was small and perfect, with a shock of Yaman's black hair and green eyes a few shades lighter than hers. He was staring at her curiously, his tiny hands flailing around. Seher trailed a finger over his soft cheeks and down his chest. Then she pressed a kiss to his forehead.