Chapter twelve

Time seemed to warp into an eternity as they waited outside the hospital room.

Çenger looked at his employer. Yaman wore a stoic expression, but his eyes looked like bits of broken glass. He hadn't moved from his spot in hours, refusing the cup of coffee and the bagel Çenger had brought him, because they'd skipped breakfast and lunch.

He wanted to console the man, but what could he possibly say to ease the fear in Yaman's heart- in all their hearts? Seher had been in a fatal accident, that had put her into a coma and even messed up with her memories. The doctors had marked her progress, but who could guarantee that it wouldn't leave long- lasting side effects? Or permanently damage her brain?

Çenger understood Yaman's pain. He knew that kind of pain very intimately. After his wife's untimely death, he'd devoted his life to their son, determined to keep his promise to her and look after him.

But God had other plans.

When his son- Ömer had been painfully ripped away from him, Çenger had no choice but to end his own life too, the loss had been so hard. But Yaman had given him a new opportunity and he had accepted it, because the bond between the three brothers had impressed him. He'd watched them going through hardships and happiness, witnessed Yalçin and Kevser's wedding and Yusuf's birth.

But disaster seemed to strike the family after Yalçin's death.

He'd never believed that Kevser could cheat on her dead husband, but Iqbal's proofs had been convincing and it had always been a sore point for Yaman- his own mother had done the same to his father. In no time, Kevser's mental health had deteriorated and she'd given up trying to prove her innocence. Everything seemed to go downhill after that slander and the mansion had spiralled into a heavy gloom.

Right until Seher had come to their lives.

Çenger wasn't sure at what point he'd become aware of the pull between Yaman and Seher. But he'd been truly happy when they had announced their nuptials and witnessed the formality wedding, that wasn't a formality in any sense- the love in their eyes had been real.

Then Yaman's past demons had caught up with him and God had put them through various tests that would break anyone else apart. But thanks to Seher's forgiving nature and Yaman's relentless determination, they clung to each other, despite everything- their bond was too strong.

He knew nothing could tear these two apart.

Nothing but death.

Çenger glanced at Yaman again. What would happen to him and Yusuf, if Seher died?

"I accepted everything", Yaman raised his voice, startling him out of his thoughts.

Çenger sat down next to him slowly. Yaman's expression was bleak and desolate.

"I accepted my father's death", he said. "I accepted that my mother would never come back. I accepted that my brother Ziya would never be the same- that I'd always have to protect him. Then I accepted every beating, every bullet and every stabbing that came my way. The pain meant nothing to me."

His voice was a broken record, hushed words strung together with despair.

"Then I accepted my brother Yalçin's death. After some time, accepting that my life will always be filled with pain and loss, became natural to me..."

Çenger let him speak, knowing that the words were clawing to get out of his chest.

"Even so, when Yusuf fell sick, I couldn't accept that I'd lose him. I thought I'd die. That grief was too all- consuming," He swallowed. "She helped me. She helped me to have faith in God. She gave me the strength to keep my head high and support Yusuf. She pulled me out of that darkness."