Chapter fifteen

Seher checked herself in the mirror, brushing her teeth.

She wanted nothing more than to have a good night's sleep for once, but her back pain had gotten worse. And nowadays she was so tired, she couldn't stay up past ten o'clock.

The last week had been hectic, what with everything that had happened between the three brothers. After Yaman had dropped the news on him, Ali had gone to visit Çanan in prison. Seher didn't know what had transpired between them, but yesterday Ali had come to the mansion and she'd seen him deep in discussion with Yaman and Ziya, in the garden.

Hopefully, everything would be alright.

Seher washed her mouth and turned back.

Suddenly, she stumbled, a spike of pain so abrupt shooting through her abdomen. She held on to the edge of the bathroom sink, her heart pounding. Was that a contraction?

Reaching for the door, she managed to pull it open before another bout of pain left her a wheezing, gasping mess. She tried to breath through it, but the pain was so sharp, it wasn't working very well. She had to call someone for help.

The babies seemed to be coming.

"Auntie, Neslihan abla forgot to give me my milk before bed!"

Oh, thank the God above. Seher looked up as Yusuf came in, already in his pajamas, carrying a picture book.

"Auntie, are you alright?"

Seher summoned a smile, ignoring the pain.

"I'm fine, sweetheart," she said. "Can you get uncle Çenger for me? I have something important to tell him."

"You're not alright," Yusuf mumbled before dropping the picture book and dashing outside.

Seher leaned against the wall and grabbed her phone from the nightstand, to call Yaman. But the red light indicated that the battery was dead. She groaned, dimly recollecting scrolling through her gallery before she went to get changed for bed. She must have forgotten to plug it into the charger.

Another shot of pain stiffened her spine and Seher crumpled down, almost blacking out. But before she could hit the floor, hands grabbed at her, keeping her steady.

"Call Mr Yaman!" Çenger's deep voice echoed next to her. "Mrs Seher, don't worry. We're going to the hospital right now!"

Seher looked up, gasping. People were crowded in the room- she hadn't even heard them coming. Yusuf stood at the door, clutching Neslihan's hand, his eyes wide. Behind them, Adalet was in a call with someone, probably Yaman. She turned to them.

"Mr Yaman is already on his way," she said. Making her way towards them, she grabbed Seher's waist, supporting her. "Let's get you downstairs."

Çenger put an arm around her shoulders. Seher ignored the feeling of her innards shredding, and concentrated on walking. She dimly heard the whirring of the elevator coming to life.

The night air felt soothing on her nerves and Seher almost enjoyed a minute of no pain, before she doubled up, gasping for breath, a contraction so profound buckling her knees. She closed her eyes trembling.

Tires screeched on the asphalt floor and a second later, hurried footsteps neared her. Strong hands grabbed at Seher and she breathed in the familiar citrus scent, instantly feeling a bit better.

"I called the hospital beforehand. They're preparing everything," Yaman said and his calm voice soothed her frayed nerves. "Don't worry. Let's go to the hospital."

He helped her on to the backseat and climbed in next to her, so she was leaning on his chest. Despite his calm demeanor and unhurried actions, she could feel his heart racing against her back. He was nervous too, but he was keeping it together for her sake.