Chapter 3: A Father?

"No such thing as a life
             that is better than yours"
                - J Cole Love Yourz

           ____________________________

UKHONA MTHEMBU

They say school is one of the best places you can be and an escape from reality. It's partially true. I've made amazing friends in a space of four days. Even though school makes me feel self-conscious, I'm glad they're here to make the situation better. It's good to have people to chat, eat and laugh with.

We're still waiting for the Business Studies teacher. I'm quiet and lost in my thoughts as usual.

"Sizwe, is it me or Ukhona looks familiar?", Liam asks. That's my name! I'm the one and only Ukhona in this whole school.

"Me? How?",

He shakes his head frowning, "Uh... I don't know".

"I'm not lying, when you first walked in, I was like 'where have I seen this girl?' but then...",he shrug.

"Eyy nawe, you overthink man!", Sizwe says taking what Liam has said with a grain of salt.

Liam opens his mouth to speak but the teacher walks in so we all pay attention. I was so keen to hear the reasons behind his statement but trust Sizwe for messing up that opportunity for me.

.

.

When the school is out, Sihle comes out of nowhere screaming, "My dad's picking me up!"

I don't know much except that he owns a surgery so I guess he's always busy and this is a one in a million moments for my new friend. She looks bright and happy and I am genuinely happy for her. She kisses my cheek and runs off, I smile shaking my head.

My mood changes when the thought of taking the school bus crosses my mind. It is one place to call hell on Earth. I am always sitting alone if not gossiped about right under my nose. It's clearly not gossip, the word is too big to say.

Today is not different either. I don't know how and why would I forget my headset knowing the situation I live in. Today, it's clear that I will listen to all the bad things they have to say about me at least yesterday I had NF blasting on my ears telling me to remember whatever he was shouting.

"Look at your friend", she gestures with her eyes.

"Ahh! This one is just an attention seeker shame. She's always sitting alone so that we can see her, yoh!"

"While she's tall enough to rise above everyone's head"

They giggle.

"She can even use her Umhlabuyalingana spell to make us like her."

"She's from where?"

"I'm telling you."

"You lie."

"Go ask her."

She stumbles her way to me in the moving bus.

"Hey darkie", everyone's eyes are all on us.

"Is it true that you're a witch from Umhlabuyalingana?"

Wow! Why am I even surprised.

The whole bus go crazy over this not so funny joke. My chest tightens and my eyes burn with tears.

'I am not going to cry', I mentally repeat the words looking out the window.

"Hey! I asked you a question!"