Chapter 28

THE TWO OF US

CHAPTER 28

BHEKA

Today he had a different dream, a good one. At least that's what he thinks. His children were home, all of them, the five of them. Maybe he have to do a ritual for Siphelele or he's so close to finding this other daughter of his he doesn't know about. This thing is so confusing. Maybe he needs to go for consulting, something he hasn't done in so many years.

"Baba, can you buy me a pet?"
Figures of being a father!

"What kind of a pet Hlehle?" he sighs. Two years ago, she wanted a cat, he bought it and it died. She strangled it after it ate her food. She left it with a bowl of cereal in the living room and went upstairs. When she came back, it was licking the bowl. Bheka had no choice but to sell the poor cat before she killed it with her bare hands.

"I want a dog!"

"No!"

"A fish then."

This child! What choice does he have. "Okay."

"Thando! Baba said yes! He's going to buy me a fish." She is dancing for Thando who doesn't seem to care, singing, "He's going to buy me a fish."

Maybe he needs to talk to her because whatever is bothering her is bigger than he thought.

"Thandoluhle?"

She raises her eyes from her phone. Even God knows, she lives for that small device in her hand.

"Let's go for a drive," he says. "You pick the car," he suggests.

.
.

Instead of asking her about what's bothering her he suggests that they buy some ice-cream.

"You don't like ice cream Baba," Thando says.

He's never felt so guilty. What kind of a father is he? He doesn't even know her favorite ice cream flavor yet she knows that he doesn't eat that thing.

"Then you can have both mine and yours."

"I don't really like it either. I want something like a bunny chow maybe?"

"And where on earth am I supposed to get ikota Thando?"

"I got you!" she squeals turning on the radio.

"Eww! Is this what you listen to? Don't you have some Kabza The Small hits or something?"

"Kabza what? Who's that?"

"Amapiano artist Kabza The Small," she says it like it is the most obvious thing.

"IGqom is for ama2000s," he shrug.

"Amapiano," she corrects him.

"I meant that."

She shakes her head in disappointment. "Can I connect my phone then?"

Does he have a choice though? Because she has already removed the USB. His USB!
She plays this loud music and tells him who sucks and who's a legend. Being a father is not a walk in the park. His ears will definitely go deaf because of this.

After they've finally found her kota, she says that the snack cabinet is empty and she also needs some to take with her tomorrow when she goes back to school. The girl knows how to spend money. At least Amahle wants cats and dogs while Ukhona wants all the books in the bookstore. Thando wants all the finest things in Durban!

Khanyo calls as they're driving back home.

"MaMvelase."

"Hi, uhm... Can you not bring Ukhona back? I will come bring her school uniform instead."