Chapter 20

THE TWO OF US

CHAPTER 20

SIHLE

The bell that used to sounds like heaven has just rang. Everyone is happy to go home but her. Even though there are people like Amanda here at school, lately, it's been a better place for her than her father's house. She gets to see her friends and Liam. She can't even take his calls when she's at home because those walls have eyes and ears.

The class is almost empty, it's only the nerds that are still left behind surely organising their study time table for the night and...them, the couple of the year.

"You know where to find me," Ukhona says kissing her cheek then walk out.
.
.

He takes her hand pulling her closer. He must've noticed something, he tilt his head scrutinizing her.

"You're not okay? What's wrong?" he ask sitting on the desk behind him. He pulls her to stand between his legs and put his hand on her waste.

"Nothing, just tired," she lies. He gives her a disapproving look. It's like he see through her. She sighs. She will not get anywhere if she tries to lie again because Liam Gumbi is a living lie detector.

"It's nothing to worry babe trust me," she tries to brush it off.

"Not when you have this face because of that 'nothing to worry about'."

"I was arguing with Amanda earlier, you know how she is, always picking up on Ukhona and she said something," she plays with her finger when saying the last part.

"What did she say?" he says drawing circles on her lower arms.

"She said I must worry about my paternity and...it's been stuck in my head. I mean, do I even look like my father?" she shrug, she sounds so stupid right now. He takes her and uses his index finger to make her look at him.

"Does Ukhona look like her father? Or my half-sister Ayanda, does she look like dad?"

"No."

"Exactly! You worry yourself a lot babe. Come here." He wraps his arm around her. She hugs him tightly and even longer like it's for the last time.
"I love you," she whispers.

"Nami ngiyakuthanda ntombi yaseMapholobeni."
She giggles pulling away. Even though he moved into his father's house when he was eleven after his mother's death, he's learnt to speak Zulu fluently like it was the first thing he leant to speak after the word 'mama'.
He watches her smiling like she's the most beautiful girl he's ever seen because well, she is.
He kisses her forehead then peck her cute lips. She smiles and peck his lips. He peck back and she does the same so they both giggle staring at one's eyes. Her beautiful big eyes flutters to his lips as he pulls her by her waist. The kiss is slow and tender.
Her phone beeps cutting their beautiful moment short. It's her father.

:Where are you?

"I have to go," she exhale through her mouth her eyes looking everywhere but Liam.

"It's your father," he says with a sigh, even though it's a question but it sound like a statement because he already knows the answer.
She nods taking her school bag and lazy throw it on her back.

"I love you, okay?" he assures hugging her from behind. He holds her tight and kisses her cheek. When she doesn't respond, he kisses her cheek multiple times until she giggle pulling away.

"And that's my girl!" he says looking at her with a smile.

She kisses his lips lightly and say, "I'll see you tomorrow."
He watches her walking out with his hands buried in his trousers pockets.
.
.