Chapter 19

THE TWO OF US

CHAPTER 19

BHEKA KHUMALO

He moves his chair from side to side, typing away on the computer keyboard. He's looking at the big computer screen in front of him but his mind is somewhere else. He can't even comprehend what's on the screen. Maybe it's been a long day and it's been tough for the past few weeks. He spins his chair around, hoping it will shake his head out this tunnel of thought it is taking but no. He only get a glimpse of the view of the city and come back to face his PA. He didn't even hear her walking in despite her wearing heels.

"Oh! Khanyo!"
"Mr Khumalo—"

They say at the same time. He gestures for her to go ahead.

"Mr Collins scheduled the meeting that was supposed to be in fifteen minutes for 11am, tomorrow. I really hope you have no problem with that?"

He had a meeting in fifteen minutes? God intervene! He had long forgotten about it.

"Uh! No,there's absolutely no problem."

"Here are the documents you asked me to print for you and I..." That's what he manage to get hear before zoning out, again. He loves how she respects and love her job. She's really good at what she's doing. The formality both inside and out, the way she carries herself...it's such a turn on. Or is it the long bodycon dress that fit her so perfectly like it was specially designed for her and that afro ponytail, that makes her look like a goddess that she is? What kind of a fool he was? To let go of this full package. He really really needs promote her to be his 'Personal Assistant'.

"Mr Khumalo," Khanyo says with a helpless sigh snapping him out of his trance.

"Sorry. Thanks for the papers."
The papers? The documents are the only thing he managed to comprehend after everything she's said.

He glance at his wrist watch then say, "Dine with me."
Okay? A frown on Khanyo's face has him repeating what he said, "This evening, have dinner with me."
She open her mouth to speak and close it. "Please, I have something to talk to you about." That leaves her with no choice but to say yes.

"Okay then, I will call Khona and let her know not to wait for me."

                            *****

She thought she would eat, hear what he has to say and leave. But it's been a good sixty minutes and she's still enjoying the moment, she's having a good laugh. Maybe it's been time since she got time for herself, it's been about Ukhona for a very long time. Those are the consequences that come with being a mother, you put your kids before everything, especially before yourself. If the house is burning down, you have to ensure their safety before yours. You have to give them love and ensure their happiness. That's what she's been doing. She doesn't even remember the last time she had a date with a friend.

"At least my daughter is not like me, I was too bad," they both share a laugh.

"But we were cute," - Bheka.

"Cute? There was nothing cute about you. You were too dark—"

"And handsome," he finishes up for her.

"Not when Ukhona had to suffer because of it," well, she didn't mean to bring that up.

"Suffer from what?"
All the laughter has died down.

"She was bullied because of her dark skin and it really affected her self-esteem," she stair her drink with a straw. "But she's healing. She's been happy and free. She's changing the way she wears, she's going out with her friends something she barely did. I thought the break up will push her back to square one but—"