Chapter 18

UKHONA MTHEMBU

Didn't I think that the storm is over? I did! Guess what? I was wrong as always. I regret logging into my Facebook account on my drive to school. I am not for the social networks so I barely use this app but 50+ notifications in less than forty-eight hours? It has never happened and it cannot start now. They're all from the school group, it's nothing serious, just a group that we use to share jokes. Why am I being mentioned left, right and center? I just don't whether to be sad or laugh out loud when I see what it is. It's a picture of me and Mntungwa at Ballito Lifestyle Center parking lot, he was holding my hand. They're calling me a whore for jumping from a son to father. Like really now? Some are saying that I'm a typical township girl who's chasing a high life and how Nathi deserved better in the first place. At least some think I was just spending some time with my father-in-law. It funny how they can't even distinguish between a father and daughter relationship and a blesser and blesser relationship. They're just annoying. I really thought rich people mind their own business but clearly not their spoilt kids. They're always in my business and I've been trying to understand why but it's clear that I'll never understand their obsession over my business. I don't care about the rumors but the stares and whispers I will have to pass through at school. I don't like a lot of attention yet I always find myself deep in the middle of it.

                              ***

Trust the teachers and their long morning staff meetings every Monday. Someone just got a chance to pick up on me.

"Class, I was passing by Mr Smith's office and he said that since we're not doing anything we must write an essay..." I can't recall the girl's name.

"About what?"

"It's either you write about your weekend with the in-laws or how you met your blesser."
Do they not erupt in laughter? For the first time, I don't feel any twitch of pain but just think that they're just clueless fools who go around putting their nose in people's business.

"I bet Akhona will get fifty out of fifty! "

"Bro! She totally relates!"

"She might as well write for all of us."

"Fuck off all of you!" Liam roars. The whole class goes quiet with immediate effect. "Can you give her a break? Ever since she came here it's been Ukhona this, Ukhona that. Can't y'all mind your own businesses?"
Some friends are nothing but true. I haven't break the news to them yet, yet he's standing here defending me like his precious wrongful arrested client.
"Thank you," I say.
"Nah, it's okay. They needed to back off anyway."
"But I should have—"
"You should have done nothing. You don't owe anyone any explanation," - Sizwe.
I thought he was only a joker but no, he's a good friend as well. I faintly smile showing my gratitude.

                ____________________

AMANDA

She's fuming. How could she? How could that ugly bitch look so relaxed while the whole class was laughing at her? Maybe her threats are getting weak and she needs to top up her game.
She storms into the girl's bathroom and back kick the door with her foot then lean against the door. "We need to act fast," she tells this stupid girl she calls a friend.
"Act fast on what?" She's not confused, she knows very well what she is talking about, she's just tired of her sending her around like a fool. This is not friendship.
"Oh my slow learner Ash! Poor thing!"
The fake sympathy, she's about to be scolded.
"I'm talking about Ukhona you idiot!"
Exactly!
"Oh! What about her?" This girl can be slow and draining sometimes. Remind her, Amanda Van-Wyk, is friends with this!
"Gosh! Ashley, are you serious right now? We need to do something, anything. Who does she think she is not be frightened like she used to last term?" If she's was a cartoon, surely there would a smoke coming out of her ears, a lot of it.
"What? She's no longer scared of you? I mean, us ?"
"Yes! Do you ever pay attention in anything? This behavior is starting to annoying me, hoor jy my? It is starting to annoy me!"

"Aren't you tired, huh? Always poking yourself in that poor girl's business. What is it that she did to you? Or you're just jealous that she is friends with people you've been dying for your whole life to be friends with?" That stupid laugh she punctuates her her speech with is what going to get her white ass beaten.

"What did you just say?"
That question can land you in ICU but she's tired of Amanda.
"Your problem is that you think you're better than everyone and you want all the good things to yourself! You're jealous Amanda! Jealous! J-e-a-l-o-u-s! You're even jealous of your own sister, no! I mean your twin sister! So you're asking yourself that how Ukhona scored herself a friendships with Liam and a relationship with S-Kay. Well, she's real! She doesn't try to fit in. She doesn't fake being cool like you, stupid whore!"

She's agape, leaning against the door looking like a drunk bitch. Hhayi! She has totally expired. This cannot be her who's shouted at by another girl.

"If you want to torture Ukhona, do it yourself because I'm out. I'm here to study, not to make other people's lives a living hell. If you can excuse me, I have to grab something to eat before the break time is over."

We shall see, she's not going to move from the door. Since, she's gained powers, she must find her way out through these walls. Someone bang the door." Go away!" Amanda screams.
"It's lunch time, they want to pee before going back to class, so move."
Ashley pull the door handle and she land on the floor. She's watching Ashley walk out on her with her jaws on the floor, sitting butt-flat on the cold floor. The other girls are walking in! God cover her with Your holy white sheet from heaven!

                            ****

NATHI KHUMALO

He's here. Parked in front of this school as always but today's reason is different. She's conversing with Sihle, her back facing him. She looks low-spirited. "It must be hard for you but you can't keep running away you know that, right?" She nods and say what his ears can't catch.

"Guess who's here?" Sihle with her bubbly personality squeals to her best friend when her eyes find him staring at them.
Ukhona turns around and freeze. He simply smiles opening his arms. "Come here," he mutters loud enough for her to hear.
This is not supposed to happen in public but here they are embraced in one another's arms, getting emotional.

"He's too forgiving, I would never!"

"Some girls are blessed shame."

They always have something to say!

"I'm glad I found you, baby sis," he whispers.

Sihle look at them adoringly. She's happy that Ukhona has finally found peace. She's known her for a short period of time but they talk. She knows how hard it has been for her without a father but her heart is heavy. She wish she had the same, a loving brother out of nowhere. Not that thirteen-year-old spoilt brat.

She sighs before raising her eyes with a smile and wave Ukhona goodbye.