Chapter 30

THE TWO OF US

CHAPTER 30

AT THE KHUMALOS

"My father? I mean, why would you want to see ubaba?" Ukhona asks with a frown.

"It's kind of...urgent," Sihle stutters.

"Urgent? What is it that..." she is cut short by Nathi's disapproving look. "Sorry, I was just... I'll go get him," she corrects herself. Does he even remember that he was fuming and rushing out of this house? Because he's all seated on the couch, his legs spread out like he's the owner of the house.

Ukhona chuckles to herself when she thinks about the fact that she's always wished to experience the suburb life. She'd always watched through the window of her mother's small car when they drove past Ballito and felt the cool breeze from the big trees that swallow the beautiful double storey houses to their roofs. Everything about the place screamed peace that she concluded in her inexperienced mind that money could buy peace. Little did she know that it's totally the opposite. She's seen that from small circle of people she met in this city within this short period of time.

It's just the two of them in the living room all along with their curiosity. At least Amahle is busy with her new fish and not experiencing any of this.

-
-
-

"This stupid letter doesn't prove nothing," he state through his teeth. He's more than pissed. This girl has the nerve to come from wherever she came from and of all places, come to his house to tell him this bullshit?

"Even the stupid DNA test of your father proves nothing. If your mother cheated, she cheated and that is it!"

Oh? What was she thinking coming here? That he'd cry and embrace her in a tight hug saying, "Oh! My poor daughter"? Please! This was one crazy thing she's ever thought. She should have just went to Aunt Nelly's place like Ukhona's mother had instructed. They were going to fix all of this when she comes back after three weeks or so. She clearly doesn't listen. She never did in her life. She should've listen to her father and broke up with Liam, she's only sixteen anyway to be head over heels in love and even risk her relationship with her parents for a boy. It's a little bit late for that though.

"I can even sue your dead mother for lying about my late daughter. You are two young to be a gold digger little girl," he says pacing up and down the study.

Tears flow down her now pink cheeks. He's telling the truth but he doesn't have to be this harsh. And over this chesty man in front of her, she'd rather live with Dr Rapist Ngcobo.

His phone rings, he almost ignore it but when take a glance at the lit up screen, he exhales through his mouth, his features changing.

"Hey," he breaths out. "Can I call you after a moment? I'm in the middle of something."

He's a little bit calm after the call. She's grateful to whoever called.

"So! As I was saying, I buried my daughter almost seventeen years ago and I will not allow you to come here and reopen old wounds. Just...just let her innocent soul rest in peace."

This man will make you feel bad in every way possible. This is not the biological father she ordered.

"I guess we're done here," he says gesturing her to leave.

"Please, I have nowhere to go. I can't go back to my father's house, he'll...he'll..." Tears fill her eyes. She doesn't mean to sound so desperate but she just can't help it.

"That's not my problem, is it?"

She doesn't respond.

"Thought so. you know where the door is," he says so nonchalant, like it does hurt on the other end and she wishes that it doesn't. What this man is saying cannot hurt her, right? She doesn't have to be this hurt because she's not even sure if he really is her biological father, right? Who is she trying to convince? Tears never lie, the lump in her throat is never wrong. She's hurt to a point that she can barely breath and she hates it, she hates herself for feeling this way. What is left of her than to just run out of this house before she screams breaking down? Absolutely nothing. There has been a lot going on these days and she can't take it anymore.