helpless .21

ricky ran through the house, ignoring aunt may's calls. he ran back outside and grabbed his phone off the ground. there was a small crack at the corner of the phone but he could care less about that right now. he was about to call tony until he realized that it might be richard again.

"we need to go to stark industries now!" ricky frantically yelled as tears ran down his face. aunt may put her hands on ricky's shoulders, trying to calm him down.

"ricky, what's going on?"

ricky didn't say anything. he clenched his jaw and shook his head, "you just gotta trust me, may. please."

"who were you with on the phone?" aunt may asked. her voice was stern but warm. ricky shook his head and faced the floor. he didn't want to cry in front of her. aunt may sighed and continued, "ricky, you have to trust me. what's going on?"

"i'm spider-man."

aunt may's mouth fell upon from shock. ricky was expecting her burst out with anger and worry but she only said one thing, "get in the car."

+

"did you find anything yet?" ricky asked again, pacing back and forth. tony let out a frustrated sigh, his eyes scanning all of his monitors.

"no, my satellites can't pick up his body. he's not from our universe so his energy and temperature is different here," tony explained. ricky took in a deep breath.

"what if you find him by doing the opposite? you can scan everything that has the same energy and temperature as us and then it would detect the unfamiliar body, right?"

tony shrugged his shoulders, turning back to his monitors. "i can try."

aunt may, ricky, and happy all watched tony. his mind was quick as he coded a new algorithm as fast as he could. ricky held in his breath as he watched the monitors.

but the boy was left with nothing but bold red letters, 'no detection'.

they all looked at ricky. he was facing the ground as tears started to build up in his eyes. ricky's leg was bouncing up and down and he found it harder to breath.

"we're gonna find her kid," tony quietly said, "but for now, we have to tell her family and the police."

aunt may tried to comfort ricky, "it's gonna be okay, rick—"

"no! it's not!!" ricky spat, stepping away from may. she faced the floor. ricky ran his fingers through his hair, "this is all my fault."

"kid—"

tony held his tongue back as ricky fled the room. the three adults looked at each other with sympathy. "i'll contact the police and her family," was all happy said before pulling out his phone.

meanwhile, ricky stood on the rooftop of stark industries. he leaned against the railing, trying to hear or see anything but he knew it was no use. richard was witty, smart, and stronger than the boy. for all they know, richard and nini are probably not in new york.

ricky closed his eyes, finally letting himself cry. just earlier today, him and nini were on the bus falling in love. she got taken away from him so quickly.

ricky opened his eyes again. he looked at the city and prayed for nini to be alive.

+