balloon .22

ricky was in class, spinning his pencil around his fingers. the boy hasn't been paying much attention to school lately. his mind was always wandering to nini. the girl's whereabouts were killing him everyday. everyone was staring to lose hope on finding the girl.

all of a sudden, ricky felt his phone vibrate in his jean pockets. he looked up to see the teacher writing on the board and pulled out his phone.

ricky quickly sat up in his chair causing everyone to avert their attention to him

ricky quickly sat up in his chair causing everyone to avert their attention to him. the teacher gave ricky a questioning look, "everything okay, mr. bowen?"

the boy looked up from his phone and saw everyone's eyes on him. he nodded his head and grabbed his backpack from the floor, "uh yeah, yeah. i u.. have an emergency. i'm sorry i have to go."

before the teacher could say anything, ricky raced out of the hallway. he immediately dialed happy back.

"happy!" ricky yelled with eager, "they found nini?"

"yeah, how quick can you get to the hospital?"

"i'll be there soon!" was all ricky said before exiting the school grounds, getting to the hospital as fast as he could.

+

"happy! happy!" ricky yelled down the hallway. happy stood up from the waiting chairs. ricky saw two women turn around and glance at the boy. finally, ricky reached them, "where is she? is she okay?"

"uh..."

"are you ricky?" the boy heard one of the women call out. ricky looked away from happy's eyes and glanced at the two women.

"uh yes... i'm nini's... friend," ricky answered, sticking out his hand. they both shook his hand.

"i'm carol."

"dana."

"we're nini's parents," carol stated again. ricky nodded his head and forced a smile at them.

"oh... it's nice to finally meet you," ricky replied.

the boy always saw them around, especially when nini first went missing but they have not properly met until now. they nodded their heads and gleamed at the boy. ricky fidgeted with his fingers before continuing, "is nini... is she... okay?"

"nini's a little frightened but ... she's safe. nothing injured or anything," dana informed the boy, who nodded his head in response. they all sat back down.

he was confused.

don't get it wrong, ricky was relieved that nini was alive and safe but he couldn't help but wonder what richard was doing with nini this past month. he had no idea what to expect but he knew he just wanted to see nini.

"uh, nini salazar-roberts," the doctor announced. everyone stood up but nini's moms stepped forward. the doctor motioned for them to follow her. carol and dana looked back at ricky.