better .23

weeks went by and ricky gave nini the space she needed. ricky would watch her from afar: seeing her slowly warm back up to kourtney and seb, making sure she gets home safely, or just making it through her school day. when nini first came back, the girl didn't really talk to anyone. she would keep to herself in class, eat alone, or have her headphones plugged into ears.

one day nini went up to kourtney and seb. they talked, comforted her, and before ricky knew it — nini was laughing about something kourtney said. ricky was happy that nini was starting to open up again. her and ricky would glance at each other in class but nini never said anything. ricky would greet her from time to time but he was only met with a small smile in response.

again, the boy was in class early. he was typing his history essay on his laptop when nini came into the classroom. she looked better. her skin was more vibrant and glowy, no eye-bags, and her hair was braided today. ricky flashed her a smile, hoping for a response back.

and for the first time in forever, nini answered.

"hi ricky," nini softly said, quickly sliding into her desk. ricky straightened his posture in his chair, clearing his throat.

"oh! hey nini," ricky chirped, sighing with relief.

"um.... what'd you get on the chemistry test today?" nini quietly asked, trying to make small conversation. ricky felt his lips turning up.

"uh... a 98! how about you?"

nini sighed and looked down, "i didn't do too good... i got a 73."

"oh, hey! it's fine, neens," ricky reassured her, "you've been gone for awhile... i'm sure you'll catch up soon."

"i guess..." she answered, picking at her binder paper. ricky could tell there was a lot on nini's mind. the girl continued, "um also...my moms wanted me to tell you ... uh... thank you."

ricky cocked his head to the side, "for what?"

"um... just everything you, happy, and mr. stark have been doing for my family... i guess," nini breathed out, "the security is crazy at my place. i can't believe mr. stark even gave me my own little jarvis."

ricky softly chuckled and nodded his head, "yeah.. well we just want to make sure you're safe, neens. plus i've told mr. stark about your adoration for jarvis and the engineering behind it... he wouldn't miss an opportunity to brag."

nini nodded her head, quietly chuckling. "well my moms love it and so do i... so thank you... for everything."

ricky grinned at the girl, "yeah! anytime! just call or text me if you ever need anything else."

"well actually um... do you maybe want to come over today after school?" nini awkwardly asked, "i uh... could really use some help catching up but don't really feel safe with anyone else... kourtney and seb have been trying to help me but... you know..."

ricky quickly nodded his head, "yeah! of course! i'd be happy to help you get back on your feet. we could take the subway back together."

nini melted into a smile, "that'd be great... uh thanks, ricky."

"yeah, no, of course," ricky responded. nini smiled in response and the two settled down as the teacher came in. ricky couldn't help himself from smiling, gleaming about the fact that nini and him might get back to what richard tried to steal.

richard, the boy thought to himself.

he wanted to know what richard and nini did that whole month she got kidnapped. like where did they stay, what did they do, why did richard let nini live, where is richard, and when is he coming back?

what the hell was richard's plan?

+

ricky looked down at their hands. he didn't even think nini realized she grabbed onto his hands but the girl got startled by every little thing when they were walking to the subway. her grip was tight — afraid that if she let go, something would happen to her.

they slid their metro cards and walked inside a cart. surprisingly, there wasn't that many people riding the subway so they found a seat. nini finally realized she was holding ricky's hand and awkwardly glanced at him. 

"oh... sorry," the girl apologized, pulling her hand out of ricky's grip but the boy quickly grabbed her hand back. 

"no, it's okay," ricky softly told her, "i don't mind." 

"okay," nini smiled, letting her hand relax in his. the two of them stayed quiet as they rode the subway. their only form of communication was from ricky rubbing his thumb up and down nini's hand in comfort. 

finally, they reached their stop. they made their way out of the subway station and to nini's apartment. after they went through all the security, they found themselves in nini's living room. the girl let her hand leave ricky's hand. 

"ugh... finally," nini muttered, dropping her backpack to the ground. she watched as ricky tried to get comfortable. the first and last time he was inside nini's house was the night she got kidnapped. it was weird to be back again. 

nini could sense ricky's discomfort. "did you want anything to eat or drink?"

ricky shook his head, "no, i'm okay. thank you though," ricky answered, giving her a soft grin. the girl nodded her head, twiddling her fingers amongst each other. 

"is it weird....?" nini creaked out.

"is what weird..?"

"you know... being here..." nini pointed out, "because last time you here ... i uh..."

the girl couldn't bring herself to finish the sentence. ricky continued, "it's nice to be back in here with you now."

nini nodded her head, leaning against the doorframe. "yeah, it feels nice."

ricky shook his head and sighed, "hey neens... i need to ask you something."