2

MADISON PIERCE stood in front of the house. She contemplated whether to catch a cab, and head back to the airport, to get on the first flight far away from where she stood, but she knew that she couldn't. Her sister would have flown to wherever she ran to, and slit her throat for missing her wedding day. Maybe, she should have planned her arrival on the exact day of the wedding, which meant a lot less time being around her mother, but she was already there, and felt like melting into a puddle of despair. She couldn't handle her mother's tantrums, or the remarks that always offended her. Her mother was the sole reason why she moved almost halfway across the world—the only reason why she stayed away from her family for so long.

Madison dragged her suitcase, along with herself along the stone pathway that led to the entrance of the house. All she wanted to do was to bolt in the opposite direction, but she knew that sooner or later she had to confront her dreadful mother. It was the best time than any other, since she could have made her sister happy in the process.

She pressed the button of the doorbell, and crossed her arms over her chest. Footsteps neared the door, and a smile flashed across the jet-lagged woman's lips.

"You're finally here!" Her older sister squealed after opening the door. Melody pulled her little sister into an embrace. Madison could smell the cherry blossom shampoo intoxicating her nostrils, as her nose grazed against Melody's thick, silky, brunette hair.

They released each other after a few long seconds, "I missed you too," Madison chuckled, as Melody moved to the side, so that she could enter the house. She placed her suitcase beside the door frame, as her eyes looked around the elegant, suburban home.

It looked the same even with the two years that she'd been away, "Mum's in the living room. Let's hurry up the stairs before she spots us," Melody suggested, teasingly. Madison quickly nodded, and rushed to the staircase, leaving her suitcase behind.

"Don't be childish, Madison," she shrieked when she heard her mother's voice. But she did agree. It was childish. She let out an inaudible sigh, before turning towards the living-room, where she presumed her mother was standing.

Amanda stood with her arms crossed over her chest. Her eyes accessed her daughter's attire, and the frown on Madison's face that always seemed just for her, "it's nice to see you, Mum," Madison said, as she forced a smile. It was customary for her mood to falter in the presence of her mother.

"Let's get you settled, Maddy," Melody interrupted the awkwardness, grabbed Madison's suitcase, and they both hurried up the stairs. Melody placed the suitcase onto the bed, as Madison looked around her room. It had been a while, but everything seemed to be in place. They both smiled, as memories rushed through their minds. Madison then unzipped her suitcase, and took out a rectangular gift-wrapped box. She placed it onto her sister's lap, and waited for a response. Melody's eyes focused on the purple-wrapped present with a lovely, white bow on top of it, "I'll have to get you to visit more often," Melody tore the wrapping, and opened the box. A smile formed on her lips, as she took the pair of heels out.

"I might have to take you up on that," Madison said. Madison knew that she was too estranged from her family. Just because there was uneasiness with her mother, didn't mean her sister and father had to pay the price.

"This isn't necessary, by the way. I'd love to see you regardless. But I do love it. Thank you," Melody slipped her feet into each side, and felt content that it was the perfect fit.

"I'll try harder, I really did miss you," Madison assured.

"I understand why, and you're an independent woman now. Mum's disapproval matters much less."

"I know, but it still hurts."

Sensing that the topic was still too sensitive, Melody wandered off to another, "I love your new book, by the way. As you know, Mum isn't too pleased with it."