3

MADISON WENT to get fitted for her dress for the wedding the next day. Heading back home, and walking into the living room, she noticed her mother sitting on the leather recliner. She was reading a book, "how was the fitting?" Amanda asked, as she lowered the book from her face, those brown eyes meeting almost identical ones.

"It was okay. They have to do some adjustments. Did you really approve of that dress?"

Amanda took a deep breath, as she closed the book, and rested it onto the small table beside the chair, "Melody insisted. I've been trying to be more supportive."

"Oh," Madison pressed her lips together, and raised a brow.

"You seem amused. As hard as it is to believe, I'm trying to be more accepting towards your choices."

"And Anderson is part of you trying?"

Amanda pressed her lips together, and shook her head, "I'm sorry. It's difficult to listen to Father ask about you, and if you're recovering well."

"Recovering? That's why I don't go to church anymore."

Amanda nodded and closed her eyes, "I know fully well your reasons, Madison."

"So, what then? It's either you accept that I'm not going to change or you don't. There is no in between, Mum. You have to make a choice."

"It's a difficult choice, Madison. I can't just ignore my beliefs for the sake of your choices."

"Wow. Okay, Mum. It's who I am, not a choice. But let me make this easy for you. Don't ignore your beliefs for me. Whether you accept me or not, it doesn't change who I am. I just hope you don't regret it when I'm gone."

"When you're gone?"

"When I head back to New York."

"Your father said that you're thinking about staying. Aren't you still?" Amanda would love for her daughter to be around more. Just because she had objections towards Madison's lifestyle, didn't mean she loved her daughter any less.

"Yes. I was. But now I remember the reasons why I left in the first place," Madison rushed out of the living room, before Amanda could say anything else. She headed up the stairs, and into her room, deciding that she should be alone for a while.

Madison decided to kill some time by writing. She didn't know what she was going to write, but writing always seemed to calm her down, and gave her a fictional world to focus on—a world that wasn't her own.

She took her laptop out from her suitcase, and opened it, before turning it on. Tilting her head side to side, she inhaled a deep breath, and slowly exhaled, as the screen came to life.

Opening a blank document, her fingers ran along the keyboard with ease. Her typing skills were remarkable, and her mind worked even faster, "Madison. Sweetheart, can we please talk?" She heard her mother call from behind her bedroom door. Madison sighed and rested her laptop beside her on the bed.

"Yeah. Come in."

Amanda opened the bedroom door, and walked in. She noticed the laptop on the bed and smiled, knowing that her daughter was indeed an amazing writer, "I wanted to apologize."

Madison looked at her mother with furrowed brows. She wasn't pleased one bit with Amanda's disapproval. Who would be?

"Okay. Is that all?" Madison asked.

Amanda sighed and bit down on the inside of her cheek, "your father and I had a discussion last night. And I promised him that I would give you a chance. So no, I'm not here as your usual disapproving mother," Madison gave her mother a questioning look, "I'm serious, Madison. All I want is for you to be happy."

Madison couldn't believe her ears, "okay then," Madison mumbled.

"Do you want to head through town with me?" Amanda asked.

Madison wondered about her mother's motives. There had to be a reason why Amanda had suddenly become so easy-going, "yeah, that would be nice."

But, she couldn't refuse spending time with her mother. It had been a while since they bonded, and Madison found purpose in spending time with the ones who she loved.

Amanda and Madison headed into town. They stopped by Sweet Delights Bakery, and nostalgia enveloped Madison's senses. She had missed the beauty of the city in Italy, showcasing years of globally influential art, architecture and culture on display.

Rome was definitely a stunning place to call home. New York was nothing compared to the privilege of living in a city of such prestige. And with Madison's mother making an effort to give her acceptance, she was more tempted to never leave.

After spending most of the afternoon venturing through the city, they finally went home. Melody was waiting in the living room, "hey, Maddy, where you guys been?"

Madison rested her bags on the loveseat, and tilted her head side to side, "we went shopping," Amanda responded, before heading into the kitchen to grab something to drink.

"Without me? That's uncalled for."

Madison rolled her eyes, "you were at work, dummy."

"Not because, you two could have waited for me," Melody crossed her arms over her chest and pouted.

"My two girls and myself in one room without fighting. That's something beautiful, isn't it?" Amanda took a sip of her iced tea, and sat down on her leather chair.

"You two better get dressed now," Melody mentioned.

"For what?" Madison asked.

"Dinner at Gloria's."

"But I was planning to... planning to..." Amanda tried to conjure up an excuse.

"I don't want to go either, but we have to. She's cooking and we'll be family soon. So, go get dressed."

"Okay," Madison grabbed her bags, headed up the stairs, and into her room.

"I'm driving you guys, so that I have an excuse as to why I can't stay late," Melody told her mother.

"Okay, sweetheart. Your dad will be here soon. Does he have to come too?"

"Yup. The entire Pierce family has been invited."

"How flattering."

"Tell me about it," Melody mumbled, as she headed into the kitchen to get some iced tea.