The Club

Saying yes to the club might be a mistake for Irene was an understatement.

As she reached her apartment after half an hour of driving, she felt like crashing down on her bed and sleeping off the tiredness from the day.

However, Irene was a person who kept her word, so she grudgingly went to her bathroom and showered under cold water. Wearing the bathrobe, she came out and opened her closet, looking for something suitable for a club.

It had been years since she last went to a proper club with someone else.

Rummaging through the rows of her clothes, she finally pulled out a white off-shoulder top and paired it with black-fitting jeans. Deciding to keep her hair loose and wavy, she wore minimal make-up and wore a small pendant as the accessory.

Picking up her shoulder bag for the evening, she closed the door of her bedroom and walked towards her shoe rack. She picked up her fanciest shoes in the closet, a pair of black stilettos, and wore them, tapping the heel on the floor to adjust.

Deciding to keep the lights on for the main room, Irene walked out of her apartment and locked it safely. On the way down through the elevator, she booked a cab for herself.

Knowing she would be drunk, it wasn't safe to drive at night.

With a ding, the elevator door opened and she stepped out of it. Speeding up to the front door, she waited for her cab to come. Her phone buzzed in her bag and she pulled it out.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Hey, Irene. Where are you? We all are waiting for you to come so that we can get this party started, "Eunwoo shouted from another side.

Irene flinched at his loud voice as she kept her phone away from her ear. She could hear the deafening club music booming through the speakers. She raised her voice and replied, "I'm coming in thirty minutes. You all can start without me."

She heard a scoff from the other side, saying, "No way. You're coming and then only we're celebrating. Right, guys?"

The crowd shouted a yes in chorus and Irene almost threw her phone because of how loud it was there. Nevertheless, she cracked a smile at her colleagues' sweetness.

"Okay, then I'll try to hurry up, "she replied and hung up afterward.

Truth to be told, Irene didn't hate her fellow professors. She just wasn't used to closeness and sweetness from them. Not that she didn't like it, but her memories contrasted with her experiences and that kind of scared her to indulge in any kind of happiness fully.

After a few minutes of waiting, her cab arrived and she sat in. Giving him the address that Eunwoo shared with her, Irene was standing in front of the club in twenty minutes.

"Oh, " Irene lifted her head to see a neon light above the entrance showing The Luxe.

It was pretty much the basic club outlook with a standoffish front door and bulky bouncer standing there. Irene walked forward and showed him her identity.

"Enjoy the evening, ma'am, "the bouncer said in his gruff voice at which Irene gave him a courteous nod.

Entering the club, the strong scent of alcohol and the boisterous music invaded her senses. The low lighting with a few flashing neon colors made her squint her eyes and she looked around to find her group.

Irene noticed that the crowd was wild and there was no way she would find her group in that. So, she pulled out her phone to call Eunwoo and pick her up, however she felt a tap on her shoulder.