The Inference

Silence.

After the stirring confession of love that Y/N made, she went silent and Irene was dumbfounded.

She didn't expect the conversation to turn like that. She didn't know that Y/N was in love with her. She didn't know what to expect next or to reply next. She just sat there, staring far off into space, shocked and dazed.

"I'm not lying, believe me, "Y/N's voice came through followed by the sound of preceding steps.

Y/N left. Just like that.

For a few moments, Irene's brain just stopped at a single moment and replayed it many times, like it wanted to ingrain the words in her brain.

Y/N's words were so effective that they blocked everything else from entering her mind. Just those three words that Irene was mostly scared of in her life for the past year.

However, when she started to get the events settled in, Irene thought about her feelings. She started to ponder on the emotions and actions she happened to do or unconsciously acted out in front of Y/N, or sometimes due to Y/N.

But, she felt mentally exhausted from wondering about those things. Her head buzzed inside and her eyes were hazy due to all the crying. She felt her throat extremely parched and her body tired of sitting down on the floor.

The sudden ringing of her phone pulled her out of her trance and she looked at her bag that was lying on the floor, opened and her things were falling out of it.

Grunting and wheezing due to weariness, she stood up on her trembling feet. Walking towards the bag, she picked up her phone that was lying near it and sniffled a little before answering the call.

"H-Hello?" her raucous voice spoke in the speaker.

"Irene? Is that you?"

Irene furrowed her brows and then looked at the phone screen before putting it back to her ear, asking, "Eunwoo?"

"Yeah, it's me. But... What happened to your voice? Are you okay?" Eunwoo asked, worry noticeable in his voice.

Irene pulled her phone away for a moment and cleared her throat, wincing a little, and replied, "I-I am fine. Why did you call?"

"Ah, right. I am standing outside your apartment door, "he said at which Irene looked at the front door in an instant.

"M-My apartment?"

"Yeah. I knocked a few times but you didn't hear it... So I called you, "Eunwoo said, at which Irene immediately looked around her.

If Eunwoo came in and looked at the mess, he would question her and Irene didn't have any answers to her situation.

She was herself trying to find the answers.

Bending down, Irene started to pick up her things and put them on the dining table. She wiped the tears that were on her face and walked up to the front door while mending her hair.

"J-Just a minute. I'm opening the door, "Irene replied to him and took hold of the doorknob before opening it.

There stood the business professor, with his phone attached to his ear and a small smile on his face, who disappeared after looking at Irene.

Irene disconnected the call as Eunwoo followed the pursuit and he pocketed his phone before glancing at Irene and then behind her.

"Hey, "he greeted, at which Irene looked at him and then replied, awkwardly, "H-Hey. Come in."

Eunwoo nodded and then entered past Irene as she closed the door behind him. Turning to look at him, she saw him slightly eyeing the things at the dining table.