The Doubt

One week later.

To Irene, it seemed like Y/N was getting too close to Rosé, too much for her liking. She practically burnt every time she saw them together.

Rosé started sitting with Y/N in the back, amusingly Irene knew that was bound to happen soon. But, she didn't want it to happen though. It all was making her feel insecure and Irene hated that emotion, that feeling to feel anymore.

Somehow, the verbal contract that they both signed was starting to fade away. Y/N was now barely looking at Irene in her classes and they wouldn't talk for days now unless it was university-related. To Irene, it felt like Y/N was slowly starting to slip away from her.

Irene never wanted that. She wanted Y/N, close to her, only looking at her.

The way Irene felt around Y/N when Rosé was not in the picture, was surely heaven to her. She wanted to feel the same euphoric sensation all over again. However, Y/N was too busy to even look at her nowadays, being near to her was a big deal.

Funnily enough, Irene had now this pent-up frustration bubbling just under the surface. One wrong move by Y/N and Irene would lose her control over rational things.

So, after her lecture ended, Y/N and Rosé, together, started to file out of the lecture hall. Irene noticed their closeness and clutched onto her pen a little too tightly, causing her knuckles to turn white.

She took a deep breath, trying to maintain her aplomb, and called Y/N with a slight caustic tone that didn't go unrecognized by Y/N.

"Miss Y/N."

Y/N halted in her steps and shared a glance with Rosé, who shrugged unknowingly and walked towards Irene. Stepping towards the center podium where Irene was standing Y/N noticed Irene's stiff posture and her eyes trailed down to her side where she saw her clenched fists.

"Miss Bae, what happened?" Y/N asked, her tone low and soft, almost convincing Irene that nothing was wrong.

Irene slightly shivered after hearing her surname from Y/N after too long and she exhaled a shaky breath, not wanting to lose her temper.

Rosé was following Y/N, wanting to hear and Irene noticed her presence. She glanced at Rosé with glaring eyes and then back at Y/N with the same fury. Y/N noticed how Irene's cheeks were a little red and her jaw clenched.

"I want to talk about your grades in the latest test, "Irene said as she put her hands behind her back and turned her head away from Y/N.

"My grades? What about it?" Y/N asked, perplexed.

Although Irene hadn't shown the results to the students yet, she didn't have a better reason to talk to Y/N.

"Yes, your grades, "Irene took out the answer sheet that was filled by Y/N and slid it across the table. "Look at this."

Y/N picked up the paper and Rosé looked over her shoulder as they both let out an astonishing gasp.

"What?"

Irene felt her plan working slowly as she smirked a little and said, "What do you see there?"

"It's an F. How did I fail?" Y/N wondered as she checked through the paper.

"You tell me, "Irene replied as Y/N looked up and gave her a baffled look.

"I... don't know, Miss. I thought I did well, "Y/N said and Irene scoffed.

"Well, to me you failed. So, what do you plan to do now?"

Y/N looked between the paper and Irene as she contemplated her answers. "I... think I should study more, Miss."