18) Lambda Scorpio - Pain and Loss

The death anniversary of Rumi's mother made a marked difference in her equation with Yohan. No one had ever done what Yohan did for her. By helping her to locate a nomadic group and extending a hand to distribute the things that Rumi bought, Yohan had made a place in Rumi's heart. Their bond strengthened slowly and steadily.

During breaks, when the cast and crew sat together to have their meals, Yohan joined them. He, invariably, sat next to Rumi at such gatherings and he would whisper jokes to her softly. They didn't care if others noticed their growing rapport. Rumi, on her part, suggested slight changes in the character and bearing of Mantra, which Yohan accepted without any objections. Sometimes, he would not be satisfied with her make-up or jewels or outfit. At such times, Rumi would feel the heat of his scrutiny, his nearness and his fleeting touch. He would adjust her neck piece or brush away the tendrils or fix the dupatta suitably. At such occasions, Rumi got the feeling that he enjoyed her nearness; at the same time, she felt his tenseness as well.

Days flew and nights crawled. The fading of Winter and the advent of Spring lent an air of crisp radiance. Yohan and Rumi welcomed each morning with delight; as the thought of seeing each other crept up on them with exhilaration. One day, while they were shooting, the area transformer broke down and the electricity went off. The back-up generator couldn't be turned on. While the assistants went in search of lineman, the cast decided to do some sight-seeing. Some stayed back citing weariness and others took off. Rumi stayed back to work on the script. The dialogues in the upcoming scenes were long, detailed and complex. By three in the afternoon, they were given the day off as the shoot was cancelled. Rumi fell asleep, and was woken up suddenly by the peal of the intercom. Struggling to remember where she was, she answered the call.

"Hello!"

"Rumi, Yohan here. Have you had lunch?"

"No, I fell asleep..."

"Sorry to have woken you up. Why don't you join me for lunch?"

"Ok! Where?"

"In my room. I have ordered a very special thali. I am sure you will love it."

Smiling, Rumi answered, "Be there in ten minutes."

After freshening up and changing clothes, Rumi went to Yohan's room. She was surprised that the room was similar to others. No special accommodation was given to Yohan. He used the same sized room as others.

When Rumi quizzed about it, Yohan shrugged, "I really don't care. As long as there is a bed and toilet, I am fine with anything."

"That was not the first impression I got about you. Then, you were behaving like a spoilt brat..." Rumi reminded him of their first meeting.

Yohan chuckled and raised his hands in apology, "Please, don't remind me of that episode. That was a terrible evening and all of us were sloshed."

He served the hot lentil and curry on her plate.

"I agree. But you gave me enough money to keep my mouth shut," Rumi murmured, tasting a spoon of the delicious lentil soup.

"Seriously, I don't even remember giving you the money. I just remember a guy hanging near the bushes. Who was he?"

"Oh, he is a friend; three of us stay in the apartment. One is Parth and the other is Ritika. I had called him as it got very late that night."

"I am sorry Rumi for that night. We gave you a terrible time...."

"Your friend even waved his gun at me..."

"I know. What do I say? We are a bunch of morons," Yohan answered, pouring buttermilk into a glass and handing it to her.