24) Delta Cancri - Helpful to Needy

"The Gypsy's Blood" was declared a runaway hit by trade pundits. The movie ran to packed houses in most of the urban centres; and in rural areas, even though it was slow to pick up business, it rose to a frenzy after the first couple of weeks. Yohan was surprised by the critics' reviews of the film. They lauded his method of direction. The public adored Rumi. There was a renewed interest in the lifestyles of gypsies, and social media handles carried snippets of the origins of gypsies in India.

The other supporting stars were also praised for their work in the film. Yohan was hailed as the new magnate of the industry. He was called for interviews, public speeches, and TED talks. Rumi and Yohan appeared as guest stars in several shows on television. Rumi's photos were splashed on the cover pictures of magazines. Everywhere Rumi went, she was greeted as Mantra, her film name, by adoring fans. She bought her own new apartment and moved in quickly.

However, as they say, every rainbow has its rain. Rumi's sunny days did not last long. One cover story of a gossip magazine began to investigate her background and carried a feature that raised questions about her status as an Indian citizen. The article's headline was, "A refugee makes it to the top in Bollywood".

Rumi was shaken up by the feature. Yohan visited her at once.

"Listen, do not panic. Somebody must have paid the magazine to malign you. Some jealous people have done this," Yohan tried to comfort her.

"But why only me Yohan? There are so many successful actresses here. Isn't there enough scope for everyone to work?" Rumi cried.

"Rumi, there are very few who are gifted, hard-working, and sincere by nature. You are one of them. You are god's child. There is an innate loveliness in you that glows even on the screen. So, people like you tend to attract envy from others."

"That is sweet of you to console me. But there is a bigger problem."

Rumi told Yohan about the welfare home she was running in Nainital. How she was helping refugee children to get shelter and education.

"Oh Rumi, you must ask the inmates not to talk about you if reporters land there. Journalists have a knack for finding such things and if or when they reach the welfare home, all details about you will be divulged. So, ask the caretaker not to say anything."

At once Rumi called Mukesh but what he said shocked her. There were already reporters who had talked to one or two of the adults residing in the home. They had also extracted information from one of the boys when he had gone out to play.

"Oh god! Yohan, they have already reached there and talked to some of the children and adults. Lord, what will I do now?'

"Relax. Let me call my uncle and talk to a few other heads of magazines."

When Yohan glanced at Rumi, she looked forlorn and lost. Her eyes gleamed brightly; she was trying to conceal the tears that were threatening to spill out. Yohan wrapped his arms around her and murmured, "Don't feel so lost Rumi. I am here. I will set everything right."

His lips grazed her forehead. Rumi raised her eyes and their glances clashed. The vulnerability in her eyes impelled Yohan to drop his guard and plant a reassuring kiss on her lips. He didn't expect Rumi to respond but when she kissed him back, he surrendered to his senses wantonly. Rumi slid her arms around his neck and pressed herself closer to him. Yohan lost his head. One arm held Rumi's head and the other lifted her waist slightly. He showered hot kisses on her face and moaned, "Rumi, god I love you so much...."

His confession did not penetrate the fog of sensuality that had wrapped Rumi. Then, slowly his words made sense. She stilled. The idea that Yohan loved her brought intense pleasure but at the same time, it crashed her to the ground plunging her back to earth. She pulled away from him even though Yohan resisted her attempts. He didn't want to let her go.