19) Alpha Leonis - Loyal and Powerful

"Rewa?"

"Yes, I have been looking for her through adoption agencies all these years," Rumi revealed, her thoughts faraway; on the fateful night when she had lost her sister.

"You said a Roy family had adopted her?" Yohan probed.

"Yes, that is what we learnt then but I am not so certain now."

"What do you mean?"

"It came to my knowledge later that some babies from the camp had been sold to high bidders. She may have been sold to someone."

"Does that mean she is living somewhere in this country?"

"I don't know Yohan. She may be here or taken somewhere abroad. I have to devote more time for the search."

"She may be happy somewhere."

"I hope so. If she is happy then I won't disturb her. I just want to make sure that she is alright."

A wistful sigh escaped her. Watching the unexplained yearning on Rumi's face, Yohan couldn't resist himself from pulling her into his arms. He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on top of her head. The warmth of his body crept up on her pleasurably.

The afternoon drifted quietly to twilight. The sand dunes mellowed in the aftermath of the heat. As soon as the Sun's grip on the land relaxed, the dust bowl began to miss its radiance. Soon, the desert will be exposed to the cold of the night so it shivered in anticipation.

Rumi had no idea if she took the lead or he did. But when his lips sought hers, she was only too happy to surrender her softness to his hardiness. Her womanliness coaxed him deeper and his lips hardened, drawing her into his desires. Her arms snaked around his neck; his lips moved to her chin gently, nibbling the tender skin. Her soft purr delighted him and he dropped light kisses all over face.

"You smell so good..." he murmured.

"You too..." her reply drew a smile from him. He regarded her flushed face, pink nose and glowing lips. His finger caressed them.

"You are beautiful, Rumi. I want to make love to you but I know you are not ready," his unexpected words jolted her out of the sensual bliss she had slipped into.

She pulled away from him and stood up jerkily. Her cheeks burnt in embarrassment. How could she behave so disgustingly with Yohan? What would he think?

"I am sorry...." she didn't complete her sentence. Yohan interrupted her.

"Don't be so hard on yourself Rumi. There is nothing wrong in sharing your sorrows."

Rumi nodded, chewing her lips with a frown. She gathered her phone and wallet. "I have to go now. I know I was a nuisance. Just forget whatever I blurted out."

It was then that Yohan realized that she didn't trust him enough to keep her secret to himself. She had blurted out everything in a moment of weakness. And he was aware that she would make sure to not repeat it in the future. He sighed with regret. He wanted to know so much about her.... how she had got her first assignment on television, what colour she liked, whether she had seen any of his films and if she had, which one was her favourite.... He wanted to peel away the protective layers that she had sheathed herself with.

The moment she left he wished that he had persuaded her to stay back and finish the meal.

Nonetheless, through the evening and into the late night, his thoughts centred around Rumi and her troubled childhood. Compared to her life, his childhood had been a cakewalk. He didn't remember his parents so he hadn't felt the pain of losing them. It was only when he grew up that he started to feel an emptiness in his life. He had his grandparents and family to take care of him. Rumi had none. She had fought her way through the hurdles and emerged as a strong and independent individual. Silently, he saluted her courage.