3) Beta Delphini - Artistic but self-absorbed

Yohan reached home earlier than usual. The shoot was postponed due to the on-going protest of technicians. Their demand was a safer and cleaner working environment. Some of the studios in the city had unhygienic conditions and many of the technicians spent long hours in the studio as a result of which they were exposed to diseases like Dengue and Malaria. A couple of weeks ago, a camera man died due to typhoid and another one was down with Dengue. Yohan sympathized with the supporters but he did not care enough to voice his support. Many other actors extended their support through social media posts. Top producers and houses faced huge financial losses due to the strike and they were holding discussions for an amicable outcome.

Yohan found his grandmother watching her favorite show on television. He joined her on the couch.

"You are home early. All fine?" she asked in concern. He looked up from the phone he was fiddling. Even at eighty, her alabaster skin glowed despite her wrinkles. Her grey eyes were concerned and her white crown of hair added grace to her distinguished bearing. She preferred to wear white and most of the time; one could find her in white sari or traditional salwar kameez.

"Haan, all technicians are on strike so the shoot was cancelled."

"During our times, no one dared to protest against your dadaji. But of course he always treated them with respect and kindness," his grandmother recalled the bygone days with a wistful sigh.

Yohan's grandfather had started his career as an actor but he had found success only as a director-producer. His grandmother had been a writer and she used to write scripts for his grandfather's films. Their love story was extra-ordinary, in the sense that they eloped and got married. His grandmother's family was academically oriented and they were not willing to let their daughter marry a man connected with cinema. So his grandparents ran away to start life afresh. And then they had lived happily ever after or at least till his grandfather expired a year ago. Yohan's father was their first born and they had been heart-broken after they lost their son and his wife in a plane crash. His father had three younger brothers and two younger sisters. Their children and Yohan grew up together and it was now a big fat family where everyone bickered and annoyed each other whenever they met. His cousin brothers and sisters had been launched similarly like him and while one of them made a mark on the screen, others were still trying to be part of the rat race.

"Your times were different dadi. Now these technicians hardly get the respect they deserve. In fact they work much harder than us but they are never recognized."

"So you support their cause?" his grandmother asked in surprise.

"No, I am not supporting anyone. I am stating facts. What are you watching dadi? This looks so hideous," he commented on the supernatural show that his grandmother was watching.

"Chup! It is the best show."

"Whatever..." Yohan sighed and replied to the message that Nina sent him. She wanted to go on a weekend trip to Goa and he was least interested. He didn't know why he was dating her still. The initial attraction was gone and he was now continuing to date her only for the sake of appearances.

"How is Nina?" as if on cue, his grandmother asked him.

He shrugged wondering how his grandmother was always aware of his relationships.

"You are not serious about her also," she stated in concern. "When will you ever find a girl who will sweep you off your feet?" his grandmother commented worriedly.

Yohan chuckled at his grandmother's apparent concern and hugged her, "Dadi, women like you are scarce these days."

There was a commercial break on the small screen and he watched the advertisement where he appeared with Nina. He cringed at their intimate scene that played out before they endorsed the brand. His grandmother had no qualms about watching it avidly. She smiled at him and said, "You and Nina make a good pair."