8) Spica Virginis - Good at Creation

Yohan watched audition tapes of aspiring actresses. His friend at the casting unit of his family's production company sent it to him on request. Yohan wanted to check debutantes who had been rejected by the company. He was not impressed. None of them was Mantra. For the last two months, he had been searching for Mantra without success.

His mobile ring disturbed him from his contemplation.

"Yohan, are you ready?" Nina asked him.

"Ready? Ready for what?" he asked in confusion.

"I told you Yohan about the preview. My friend Vasujit has invited all of us for his comedy. Come on, let us go Yohan. Please don't refuse."

Yohan sighed in irritation. He has been slowly withdrawing from Nina. He didn't think he had feelings left for her anymore. But he didn't know how to tell her. In all his relationships, his girlfriends were the ones who had broken up with him, unable to cope with his mood swings and aloofness. After the initial ardor wore off, he would simply withdraw from them.

'You haven't gone anywhere out Yohan. This is a good opportunity to network. You can even interest someone for a role."

That stung, "Why? Do you think I am unemployed?"

"No, you know I didn't mean that way Yohan. I just meant that it would be a good opportunity to let others know that you are available. I understand your grief but it is time to share it. Amar and Dheer have been waiting to take you to the club."

Yohan gave a long sigh and relented. He didn't have much to do that evening. Why not spend it with Nina?

By the time Nina appeared at his house, he had pulled on his jeans and jacket. Nina was dressed in a long emerald gown and left her frizzy hair open, giving her an impish look.

                                                                         ***********************

When Rumi reached the theater, some of the team had already arrived. The ushers led her and Ujjwal to a row marked for the artists and crew of the movie. Spotting Maya and Vasujit deep in conversation, Rumi led Ujjwal to the pair and greeted them,

"Ah Rumi, you look wonderful dear." Vasujit drawled taking in her hair and dress. Rumi introduced Ujjwal to all. Others joined them and slowly one after the other filed into the dark auditorium. After initial greetings, Rumi and Ujjwal settled in their seats with a can of drink. Rumi was relieved that Vasujit did not mention his script in front of others but she noticed him observing Ujjwal from the corner of his eyes.

"I don't think your director likes me very much." Ujjwal pointed out, watching Vasujit and Maya mingling with others.

"Why do you think so? He is a little absent-minded so he can appear frosty."

"If you say so..." He muttered sipping his drink. "Look who is here!"

Rumi's head shot up and followed Ujjwal's gaze but she could not find anyone in the dark, "Who is here?"

"The beautiful Nina Karthik and the world-weary Yohan Arya...."

"World-weary? Seriously Ujjwal..." Rumi teased, her eyes searching for the pair in the dark.

Rumi caught sight of them talking to Maya. Nina looked glamorous in an emerald gown and a camera flash took in Yohan's boredom. Rumi noticed him holding himself away from Nina and Maya with a forced smile.

"You know it surprises me that the guy manages to date the most successful and beautiful women in the business without a major single hit. He is one lucky scoundrel." Ujjwal muttered without taking his eyes off Nina.