14) Beta Arietis - Ready to take risks

Rumi wondered why Vasujit was not answering her calls. She left many messages but he didn't respond.  She had a hunch that all was not well. Now as she waited for him, a couple of rings later he answered, "Hello Rumi!"

"Hi Vasujit, I called you many times and I even left a message with your secretary."

"I know. I was on vacation."

Rumi waited for him to speak but there was no sound from the other end. Finally, Rumi broke the silence, "So Vasujit, out of the three roles of...."

Before she could finish, he interrupted her, "Rumi, you are late. The role has already been taken up."

Rumi blinked at the phone in shock, "But Vasujit, you said I would be given the first preference."

"Yes I did but you took too much time so I had to give it to someone else."

She felt sorry that she had fought for an unreliable man like him at her agency, "Are there not three roles?"

"No, I have made some changes in the script. There are only two sides to the character and one actress would be enacting both the roles."

"Oh, so who is doing the role now Vasujit?"

"Nina Karthik..."

*********

Ujjwal had the smug look of a man who had won a contest. As soon as he arrived, he took Rumi in a tight embrace even after Rumi resisted him.

"Hey Rumi, don't you start throwing your attitude at me!" he muttered when he realized that Rumi didn't enjoy his display of affection. He slumped on the chair while Ritika regarded him with a grimace. After assuring herself that Rumi was fine, Ritika left them alone.

Ujjwal glanced at Rumi and asked, "Why are you avoiding me?"

"I am not avoiding you Ujjwal. I have been busy."

"Yeah sure! I suppose you were busy with Yohan,"

Rumi's temper rose at his sarcasm. She didn't bother to reply but instead asked him if he needed anything to drink. Her indifference provoked him further, "Hey Rumi I am talking to you. Don't you dare turn your back on me now..."

Something snapped inside Rumi, "I have no intention of continuing a conversation with someone who has no respect for me."

"Really? You are the one avoiding me because you think you have become this hotshot actress after one film."

"Oh so now it is my mistake that I am not available at your beck and call. Have you considered the possibility that you are not being supportive?"

"You don't need anyone's support. You have refused everyone's help. Now don't blame me."

Rumi concluded that there was no purpose in arguing with him. He was like a bull stuck to his own logic. And she didn't think he would understand her viewpoint. Moreover he was convinced that she had become arrogant and she refused to defend herself to such people.

"So you know that Yohan has broken up with Nina. Don't you?"

"What has that got to do with us?"

"He is given you a role, hasn't he? Only to flirt with you; don't you get it? Men like Yohan are hunters; they are always looking for prey. If Nina can't hold him, no one can."

Rumi was fed up of his 'Nina' worship, "Seriously Ujjwal, are you sure that you are not in love with Nina. I think you are..."

"What? I am not in love with Nina even though she is a dear friend of mine," Ujjwal claimed.