6. A Prajapati now!

"Ok

"Ok..then," Uma Attayya said, as she proceeded with the Aarthi. Then we entered the mansion.

It's not the first time entering this mansion. After Kriya's birth, Kirti had asked my help. And naturally I had agreed. After Kirti had passed away, Uma Attayya let me take care of Kriya. So, as soon as I could make some time, I rushed to spend some time with Kriya. Thus, I was familiar with the mansion.

Bhairav left me immediately, to talk to his relatives.
"That's his uncle, Rudra Deva. They always have serious conversations. You will learn to ignore them," Uma Attayya supplied quietly. She smiled and continued, "your luggage is kept in Bhairav's room. Do you want to freshen up?"

I shook my head.

"Fine, then. Let's meet the relatives".

Attayya, then proceeded to introduce me to all the people in the room. I did not receive a warm welcome. People looked at me condescendingly. And I was okay with it, because I am always a step down when compared to Kirti. Attayya gave some reassuring smiles, occasionally. Even the saree I wore, it might have cost me all my savings, but for the people here it's just probably something they would gift their servants with.

After introducing me to most of the relatives, Attayya asked me to join the wedding preparations. Since then, I ran around doing every work I was given. Kriya was being cared by Vimalamma. Vimalamma, was Kirti and Kruthi's nanny. After Kirti passed away, Radha ma'am sent Vimalamma over to the Prajapati mansion, to help them take care of Kriya.

"What a great choice of daughter-in-law, Akka! You got a servant free of cost," I had heard Durga Attayya say that to Uma Attayya. Not finding anything wrong with the statement, I continued working.

But, I guess Uma Attayya probably took offence. Because she came upto me and said, "Sorry about Durga.. She is a nice person, but... Ignore her. Don't take anything she says to your heart. You have come to this house as Bhairav's wife and Kriya's mother. But most importantly, you are a Prajapati now. Don't let anyone say otherwise. Remember to not let anyone treat you like a pushover. Understood?"

I nodded immediately. But I knew I could never live upto her expectations.

After dinner, I walked to Bhairav and Kirti's room. Bhairav hadn't come back yet. He was talking to his uncle. Now what was I supposed to do? Kriya was already fed and she was sleeping in her crib. I changed into a cotton chudidhar and walked to Kriya's crib, sat next to it, leaning on the wall. I can't sleep before Bhairav comes. What if he gets upset? I tried keeping awake, but with the day's exhaustion catching up, I could only give up.

I was deep in sleep when I heard the loud bang of the door. I jerked up from my sleep, to see Bhairav leaning on the door. I got up immediately, put my head down. Hopefully I did not anger him. Shaking his head, Bhairav walked to the washroom. I stood still, till Bhairav came back. He looked at me and grumbled, "Go back to sleep".