18. Devaki- The ring master

Devaki looked at herself in the mirror, one last time before leaving the house. Uma had looked at suspiciously and she royally ignored her. Because she knew what's coming next.

"Attayya, you are going out to eat unhealthy food, aren't you?" Uma asked her.

"That's not my intention, primarily. But if opportunity presents itself, I can't say," she said that with her had held high.

Uma could just sigh, while Durga couldn't help herself. "It's not good Attayya. You had no idea about the quality of food there. If anything, we will ask the chef to prepare it for you".

"Fear not, dearies. My will to live has not died yet. Not until I see all my children happy!"

"Then you are going to stay immortal Attayya," Durga answered her dismissively.

"Anyways, I am going". She walked out of her house without waiting for her two precious daughters to object. It's not like she was going to eat. She was going to meet her henchmen.. henchwomen, her partners in crime.

She strutted out and sat in her car. Her chauffeur of twenty years, Sarathi nodded and started the car. They traveled to her favorite Biryani place. She had booked a private booth. She got into it and waited for her guests to arrive.

After waiting for few minutes, her henchwomen entered the booth. Shyamala, Tulasi and Leelavati.

Shyamala is the daughter of her friend, Ananthamma. She was sent along with Devaki as her help. She stayed with Devaki and her daughter, Shyamala grew up with Mahesh and Eshwar. She had married and lived a beautiful family life. Now that her children were married and her had husband passed away, she came back to live with the Prajapati's. Devaki trusted Tulasi as much as she trusted her son's.

Tulasi was bought into the house, when Uma and Durga found it difficult to manage the kids. Bhairav was just three when she had come. She was like a second mother to the kids. She wanted their happiness as much as Durga and Uma would. And Devaki needed that love , now more than ever.

Leelavati, Sarathi's wife, has been the head of staff for the Prajapati's for about three decades. The tough task master that she was, she had always kept things under control, followed every order to the T, and was loyal to the core. Devaki just felt lucky that her loyalty was directed towards herself.

Shyamala came and hugged  Devaki mumbling a faint 'hi Devamma'. Tulasi smiled brightly and squealed, "you have become few years younger, Devamma".

Devaki shook her head and replied, "we met three days ago Tulasi!" 

And then she looked at Leela and nodded. "Afternoon Devamma," Leela replied.

With the greetings done, all of them settled around the table. After the orders were taken, Devaki asked them, "so, how were past two days? Shyamu?"

"It was... Okay. We know about Eesha don't we. She believes that she has come to this house as Kriya's nanny. I did try to get them closer, but no use. The sad part is, Eesha doesn't atleast see herself as Kirti's replacement. And that Vimala reminding her the same again and again doesn't help either. Why can't we fire her?

And Bhairav is still living with Kirti's memories. With Vimala around and she would never let Bhairav forget his first wife. Vimala needs to go Devamma!" Shyamala lamented.

Devaki nodded and looked at Tulasi with raised eyebrows, who sighed heavily. "Devamma. They are two empty vessels, I swear. They can pick up fights about absolutely anything and everything. They fought about house, food and yesterday? Yesterday, I don't even know why they fought. Pranav's anger the earlier evening scared me too, and for your kind information, I am not scared of Pranav. But, Stuti, as much as I admire her for strength, it's not helping their case. Devamma, I think their pairing isn't right".