Chapter Øne

"Jaime, what don't you fucking understand?! I'm sick and tired of all this constant fighting over everything! All you ever give me is bullshit! When will you just leave me the fuck alone?!" I screamed at him.

He looked taken aback, eyes wide with fear and hate. We could barely stand each other enough as it was. He always had me stressed and anxious, buzzing with nerves. I couldn't take it.

"Vic, you didn't even pay this month's fucking rent! How do you expect me to be okay with this?! Where are we gonna go when they kick us out? What are we gonna eat?! You're so selfish Vic, all you ever think about is yourself!"

He finished angrily, slamming his hands down onto the kitchen table in the process. The old wooden table wobbled and then stopped. Jaime was fuming, eyes wide, jaw clenched. To be honest, the sight was kind of...hot.

"News flash Jaime! I did pay the rent but I guess the money didn't get sent or got rejected! Why do you think I'm constantly broke all the time, huh? Because I'm buying worthless shit for you, trying to make you happy and trying to keep this fucking roof over our fucking heads!"

I've had enough of his shit, I wanted to pull the pack of cigarettes out of my back pocket so bad but decided against it.

Jaime hates it when I smoke. See, here we were arguing but yet I still cared about what he thought.

Jaime was still talking -more like yelling- by the time my hand grasped the cold rusty doorknob. His breathing stopped and all once voiced thoughts left him, leaving him completely speechless.

The shabby apartment was falling apart at the seams, anything more than an earthquake or two and we would've been done for. It felt like our relationship was the house.

Barely hanging on.

"Vic," He said, lip trembling with fear and eyes glassy, "If you leave, I can't promise you that I'll be here when you come back. If you come back."

He told me cautiously, as if he was stepping on shattered glass. This time we were fighting because I had come home late and Jaime accused me of cheating.

Supposedly, I've changed and I've been around a lot less. Jaime doesn't even fucking work, he could at least ask why and try to understand where I'm coming from.

As I opened the door, I could hear Jaime's breathing hitch, he could tell this would be a major fall out in our marriage.

I just couldn't take it anymore. I stepped out into the cool night, I could hear Jaime begin breaking things. Occasionally, he would break a cup or two then breakdown in tears, but tonight he didn't stop. It sounded like he was planning on wrecking the whole house.

We were destroying our marriage slowly. It felt like I had lost all hope, nothing could fix this. No matter how hard I tried or thought about trying. We were a lost cause that had our moments.

I checked for my wallet which I had in the back of my faded black skinny jeans. I put my sunglasses back on, pushing them up the bridge of my nose as I let out a deep, stressful sigh. I didn't want things to go like this with him, I loved him. It just felt like things were taking a downward spiral and that spiral was taking everything down with it.

As I walked into the night, I contemplated going back and checking up on him, making sure he didn't hurt himself in the process, but I quickly shook off that thought and hurried on down the next block.

The chilly breeze sent shivers down my spine and I regretted leaving without my jacket, I had chose the wrong night to come out in just my dark blue button up shirt. I kept walking until I made it to a pub about five blocks from the house. I couldn't even call it home anymore.