A boy

Wilbur POV

"Good morning, your highness," A somewhat familiar voice woke me. "Today is your day out."

I opened my eyes to see 404 and Sapnap standing over me.

"Has Dream already left?" I asked, a little upset he didn't say bye.

"He said he had to be out early today, but he did leave us a list of things," 404 smiled. "He said that your favorite outfit should have just been cleaned and is ready to be worn out. The yellow shirt and trench coat?"

"Wonderful," I laughed. As usual, Dream was right. "Thank you both for accompanying me out today."

"Of course, it's our pleasure." Sapnap said as they both bowed. I got changed and motioned for them to follow me. I said my farewells to ranboo and the staff, and we went out.

Nothing had really changed since we had last been out, but I loved it none the less.

I was walking down the street, waving and nodding to people. I was having the time of my life, I had been in the village countless times, though typically with Dream.

I saw a new cart in the town square. The market there was always changing, but it caught my eye. It was gemstones, and I saw a sparkling emerald I just had to have. It was the green that Dream always said were his favorite.

"Hello," I greeted. The blond working there turned around. His hair was messy, he was wearing a simple green shirt, and his eyes where stunning. An emerald green, brighter than the grass of the forest and kinder than the bakers at the castle. He was hot. "I—I um, I want um may I have a-"

"Your highness," He said, an accent different than my own. He also had a look in his eye I couldn't quite place. Maybe surprise? Shock? And for some reason some look of fear. "It's an honor to meet you."

"Oh—oh um," I stuttered out like an idiot, before clearing my throat so I could stop acting like an idiot. "The honor is all mine."

"What may I do for you?" He smiled. "Are you looking for a gem for yourself or a special someone?"

"Someone, one of your jewels reminds me of him," I said, thinking clearly. I was thinking of Dream, his wheeze, his mask. It made me chuckle softly. "Can I have an emerald?"

"I see," he smiled. "Of course you can, what type of relationship is it for? A friendship? Something more?"

"He's just a really good friend." Yes. Friend, we're friends. He's my royal knight, my friend. He can not be more.

"Will this work?" He asked. He held out the emerald I saw earlier.

"That's wonderful, how much does it cost?" I wondered aloud.

"It's on the house," he smiled, bagging it and handing it to me. "It's been my honor to serve you, your highness."

"Oh please, call me Wilbur," I smiled, rubbing the back of my neck. "And there must be some way I can pay for the emerald."

"Consider it a coronation present, your high—Wilbur." He nodded his head and smiled.

"Can I at least take you to the bakery or cafe?" I asked. "It's the least I can do."

"I would love to but my aunt would be left alone to run the—"

"Duckling," the other female worker smiled. She seemed older but still beautiful. "Go, the king has asked, don't make him upset. I'll be fine by myself."

"Thank you, puffy!" He hugged her, smiling and taking off his work apron.

"Anytime, duckling," she smiled. "Be back before dark."

"So where are we going, Wilbur?" He asked me.

"Cafe?" I suggested.

"Sounds great to me." He shrugged, smiling. He started to pack up his stuff when 404 leaned over to me.

"Are you sure this is a good idea, your majesty?" The knight asked.

"Why wouldn't it be?" I retorted.

"Well, you just met this man, who knows what he might be like?" Sapnap joined in.

"Then I guess it's a good thing I'll have two royal guards following from behind." I commanded. "And sitting at a nearby table."

"But your highness—" The shorter started again.

"404, drop it." I cut him off. "He gave me a free gem, He seems nice. Familiar, like I've met him before. I think I can trust him."

"If you insist." He stated backing away. I don't know if it was a truck of the light or just my imagination, but I saw Sapnap and the blond exchange a worried glance. I just decided to ignore it for now.

"What would you like to eat?" I asked when we arrived.

"Nothing, you really don't have to buy me anything—"

"Please, it's the least I can do." I interrupted him.

"Your highness, are you sure?" He asked timidly.

"Yes, of course, I can only imagine how much that emerald must've cost." I smiled back.

"I suppose a muffin wouldn't hurt." He finally agreed.

"Right, then a muffin it shall be." I ordered it and went to find the blond who had already sat down.

"Thank you, Wilbur." He said as I arrived to the table. Sapnap and 404 were at the one behind us.

"No problem at all, it was really my pleasure...right this is embarrassing." I started. "I don't believe I got your name."

He flashed a grin, his emerald eyes shining. "Clay, my names Clay."

"It was my pleasure, Clay." I handed him the muffin, and sat down. "Besides, it'd be nice to know someone not from the castle."

"Right, surely there's someone from the castle you relate to," he smiled. "Maybe the person whom you got the emerald for?"

"I mean of course there's people I like and talk to, but all of them are so formal." I groaned. "There's one person who calls me my name, but not even all the time. It's sad."

"You got an emerald for someone, surely they are important." He suggested again.

"They are, but they're just my friend." I reminded myself. "Just a really good friend."

Time skip brought to you by the lights in your closet that won't turn on.

Clay was currently talking but I wasn't really hearing anything he was saying. I looked into his eyes, they were mesmerizing. A bright emerald green, lighting up when he talked about something he was interested.

"Wilbur?" I was snapped out of my thoughts. "Wil? Hello? Anyone in there?"

"Has anyone ever told you that you have gorgeous eyes?" I asked.

"Not—Not really," he stuttered out. "I—Thank you."

"I'm just being honest, it's a virtue I admire and value the most." I said. He was blushing from the previous comment and I don't know what came over me, perhaps how he wasn't breaking eye contact, maybe how close we were, or maybe anything else in the world, but I leaned over and kissed him. He turned beet red. I realized what I had done. "Oh fuck, I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking and I—"

I was cut off by another kiss. It was short and sweet. He tasted like apples. I wanted to taste more of it.

"It's okay Wil," he smiled. "I—I liked it."

We had been talking for hours. By hours I mean six or seven. I had planned on being home by two or three, but by now it was just past 4:30.

"I'm afraid its getting late," I said. "I have to get back to the castle so that my guards can have a break, would you like to accompany me?"

"I'd love to Wil, but I'm not a fan of castles, and your right it's getting late," He gently denied. "My aunt said I have to be back before dark."

"Alright, no hard feelings," I smiled. "I hope to see you again soon, Clay."

Word count: 1311
Eyyyy like I promised. Another chapter! Please do vote and comment!