A promise

Wilbur POV

I woke up to the shaking of my guards. It was dark out, late. Too late.

Then I remembered how I fell asleep, how Clay was supposed to get back to help his aunt. It had to be much past closing time.

I shot up, worried about Clay. Puffy would be pissed off and worried about him and I didn't know which I would be more terrified of.

"What of Puffy?" I asked. "Has she been told where me and her nephew are? I wish her to not be worried."

"You need not worry, you're highness," Sapnap said. "Puffy knows he is safe. We were instructed to bring him back to his house or to the castle."

"Thank you, Nick." I smiled.

"You know there really is no point of codenames if you do not use them, your highness." George pointed out.

"I do not believe I care, George." I laughed

"Go ahead and wake up your precipice Clay," He rolled his eyes and smiled slightly. I wish it were Dream smiling at me instead. "We will escort you whichever direction you decide to go."

"Clay," I said, taking instructions from my guard. "Clay. Wake up, we need to get you to a proper bed."

"Wilbur?" The blond asked, rubbing his eyes. "What happened?"

"We fell asleep," I laughed, trying to soften the mood before I asked him to come to the castle, I knew he was not a fan. "Seems like for a while."

"My aunt must be worried, I told her I would help her close and—" he started.

"Clay, it's okay," I said, reaching for his hand to comfort him. "Your aunt has been told. She said you can go backtrack o your house or come to the castle with us. The choice is yours, although I wouldn't mind more time with you. You could even meet my personal guard, Dream!"

"I...why not?" He laughed. "I'll try."

"Clay, are you sure?" Sapnap asked. "I know you're not comfortable there."

"I think I'll be fine, thank you Nick." The blond answered.

"Do you two no one another?" I asked confused.

"Yes, the three of us were in training together to become guards," George said. "We are quite close."

"You were going to be a guard, Clay?" I questioned.

"I was," he smiled almost too forced. "I had to drop out to help my aunt though. I don't go back to the castle anymore, it brings up a lot of memories, you know?"

"Yeah, I understand." I laughed just as forced.

"Are there not good memories there?" Sapnap said. Clay and George looks shocked, I guess he had never argued for him to come to the castle before. "You're going to have to come back eventually."

"Nick," I scolded. "Stop, don't pressure him into this."

"No it's okay, I'll go to the castle." He smiled, standing up.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"I'm positive, Wil," He smiled. "But let's go now, I don't want to catch a cold if I haven't already. Work will be hell if I did."

"Come on, Clay," I laughed as well. "You've shown me your world, now let me show you mine."

"Lead the way, your majesty." He held out his hand for me to take it, so I did, and I led him to my home.

I used to  have to worry, I'd only have Dream with me and I would have to make sure my father wouldn't see Clay. I couldn't take someone home in the middle of the night, but this was present day, not back then.

When we got back I gave Clay a change of clothes, and changed myself as well. We crawled into my bed and started to go to sleep.

"What is this?" Clay had asked me.

"What's what?" I questioned as well. I didn't know what he meant and needless to say I was confused.

"What is this? Between us, whatever we are, what is this?"

"Well, we can be whatever you want us to be." I smiled, reaching my hand up and playing with his hair.

"We can't though, can we?" He tried to smile as well, all though it looked forced and faked.

"Why not?" I questioned once more. "I'm the king after all."

"That's exactly the problem," he said, shifting up so he could see me better. "You're the king, you have to marry wealthy. You have to marry Prince Clayton. And you have to give him a chance."

"But I don't want to, I don't want him," I sighed. "I want you."

"Can I have you?" He whispered. "Can you have me? Can we even have each other?"

"We will always have each other." I smiled at him.

"And what of when the prince comes in two weeks—" he started.

"One week." I corrected, interrupting him by mistake.

"What of then?"

"Then we figure it out," I laughed. "We tell the prince that he can't separate us, tell him who we are—what we are."

"And if he disagrees?" Clay asked once more. "Or some other challenge or surprise comes up?"

"Then we figure it out together, until the end." I said.

"Promise me?" He smiled.

I reached up to him and played with his hair, kissing him softly, and only breaking apart but staying inches apart. "I promise."

We fell asleep like that, my hands tangled in his hair, his head on my chest. The world was as it should've been. In that one moment the world was perfect. In that one moment everything was singing in a perfect harmony.

Clay POV
I got out of bed, even though it pained me to do so. I looked around his room, it was pretty, comforting, but lonely. I found a piece of paper and a quill and started writing.

I'm sorry I couldn't be there when you woke up. I felt bad for leaving Puffy.

I hope to see you soon.
Clay.

I sat it down on the table, and started to leave. I heard the creaking of the bed, and when the king finally stopped tossing and turning I let out the breath that I didn't know I was holding.

I opened the door and walked back down the hallways to meet Nick and George who gave me my uniform and mask.

Tomorrow would be a long day.

Word count: 1062
That's right! I got a chapter out! Please do vote or comment! It would make me really happy! I lost motivation for a bit but I think it's coming back so let's hope it stays.