☆ Chapter 15 ☆

It would take a supreme amount of under exaggeration to say I was anything less than gussied up. Over the course of two hours, I'd managed to take a shower, straighten my hair, squeeze into a pair of black shorts with a Fall Out Boy t-shirt and boots, and, with a bit of help, do my makeup. If only the eyeliner hadn't taken so long.

Another lie would be that I wasn't running late. In reality, I was sprinting through the park that connected Whitney's apartment to Danny's workplace. If I weren't late, perhaps I would have taken the time to stop and laugh at the strange looks I was getting from a variety of joggers and children. It's not everyday that you got to see a lunatic running through the park and messing up their recently done hair.

I'm not sure how I ended up with Paul's number in my phone, but I'm glad that fate was on my side for once. I'd texted him, confirming that Danny had work this evening. Luckily he did, and, as a side note, Paul was rooting for me. The only problem was that Danny was schedule to get off work fifteen minutes before the current time.

Right as the cafe came into view, I stumbled over myself, tripping and sliding on my butt momentarily before forcing myself back up. There were probably grass stains settling into Whitney's too-short-for-me shorts. Though I allowed myself to pant and heave for a few seconds before continuing, I knew I didn't have any extra time to spare. I crossed my fingers, taking in a deep breath before pushing the door open with my hip.

"Damn it!" A voice exclaimed from the other side of the plexiglass door. I felt my eyes widen to the size of saucers as I peered through the clear door, coming face-to-glass-to-face with none other than Danny Edge.

His blue eyes widened, as if mimicking my own. We stood like that, mesmerized by each other's presence. At least, I was mesmerized by his. Then, without warning, Danny made his way around the door, towards me, and...

Outside. He completely blew me off, without even a glance over his shoulder.

"Danny!" I called, racing after him. There's no way in hell I'd go through all of this trouble, both physically and emotionally, just to be kicked to the curb like that. I called his name again before catching up and grabbing the sleeve of his jacket. He stopped, his breathing hitching slightly as he turned to look at me.

It was then that I realized just how tired he looked. His eyes had lost the light I had come to love within these last few weeks; the bags under his eyes made him look like an underfed puppy. Maybe these weeks had taken the same effect on him as they had on me?

"What is it?" Danny asked, his voice sounding almost as exhausted as he looked. My cheeks heated as I realized I'd probably been staring at him for awhile without explanation.

"How have you been?" I asked, biting my lip. I scolded my brain for it's lame social skills. Seriously? You stare at a guy you haven't seen in a week- since you scared him away, I might add- and that's all you can think of? Small talk?

Apparently, Danny was on some sort of wavelength with my brain. "Skip the small talk. I look horrible and we both know it." His eyes skimmed over me for a second before meeting mine again. "You, on the other hand, seem to be doing a lot better."

I giggled at that. Despite the fact that I had been trudging for the last week and broken down less than three hours ago, he still thought I was fine due to a huge amount of effort on Whitney's part. He had no idea. And I suppose he wouldn't until I filled him in.

"Oh, so you came to laugh in my face?" Danny's eyes turned to ice, my opportunity of gaining forgiveness slowly melting away. "That's pretty damn heartless, if you ask me."

I felt myself cringe at his words. The idea of losing him was becoming more and more overwhelming by the second. Shuddering, I grabbed his now receding form.

"No." I began, pulling him back towards me. His eyes widened, probably surprised that I cared enough to continue the conversation. Staring Danny down, I considered my next words carefully. Whatever I said next could make or break this relationship. It was the difference between us making up and me losing him.

"I came to do this." I closed the distance between us, bringing him in for a kiss. It took him a moment, but soon enough, he was kissing me back. While it wasn't a full-on makeout session by any means, it was still nice. His lips were sweet against my own, matching the same amount of passion that I was projecting towards him.

Plus, he smelled nice.

Despite the fact that this was the most obvious showing of PDA I had ever taken part in, I couldn't have cared less. For the sake of the moment, it was just Danny and me. Together. It didn't matter what anyone else thought; excuse the cliche, but this moment was all that mattered.

We could've been kissing for hours. Even so, when he pulled away I felt myself wanting something more. As if reading my mind, he pulled me in for a tight embrace, his head leaning forward until it rested on my shoulder.

"Hey, Cas?" Danny mumbled into my t-shirt.

"Yeah?" I asked back, resisting the urge to pull away so that I could look into his eyes.

"I missed you."

I laughed a little. When his back tensed at the sound, I rubbed my hands across his shoulders, pulling him closer. "I missed you, too."

"Cassie?" His voice sounded again, his words muffled against my back. It tickled a bit, the way his words vibrated against my skin. I found myself hoping he would talk some more. Maybe even hug me more.

"Yeah?"

Danny pulled back, giving me a hopeful look. A bit of his usual light seemed to return as he grinned. "Wanna go out tonight?"

"Would I ever."

☆ ☆ ☆

(a/n)

Thanks for reading~

Don't forget to comment/vote/follow :)

QoTC: Are you glad they're finally going out on a date? Do you think they'll work out?

Was Cassie too forward in her kiss with Danny? Or not forward enough?

~Stay Amazing~

xoxo, InsomniaWriting