☆ Chapter 16 ☆

(a/n: Listen to I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie for this chapter because I fell in love with that song cx )

~Unedited~

☆ ☆ ☆

My lips were still buzzing from our kiss as Danny led me through the front door of a quaint little restaurant. He had been holding my hand since he'd asked me out. Despite the fact that my hand was probably warm and clammy from the current state of my nerves, he kept hold of me.

He deserved a medal.

His hand was nice too. Considering I didn't have a hand fetish, I'd never taken too much notice in how nice a hand could actually be. Yet I still felt content in the way his grip was warm against mine, though not sweaty as mine probably was. Somehow I got the sense that he wasn't going to let me go.

"Booth for two, please." Danny grinned at the hostess. Her name tag read "Hilary," and I'd be lying if I said she was anything less than pretty. I felt a boiling in my gut as jealousy stewed. I wish Danny had just ignored her.

Though I had no real right to be possessive of him, seeing as how we weren't technically dating, and he hadn't even done anything, I still was. Maybe it was the whole idea of the date and the fact that I just got him back. Perhaps I was just scared to lose him.

My thoughts came to a halt as I slid into the booth across from Danny. The diner was decorated nicely, nothing too assaulting on the eyes. The booths were a frayed red leather, a color similar to that of an apple. Traditional paintings covered the walls, ranging from portraits to landscapes to domesticated animals. Miniature blue chandeliers hung above each table, dangling a couple of feet above our heads. The napkin holders appeared to be sewn and the salt-and-pepper shakers were painted a pastel pink.

"Do you come here a lot?" I found myself asking after I'd taken in the entirety of the building. It had a sort of home-attacked-by-children's-crafts feel to it, which was somewhat refreshing compared to the modernized feel of most restaurants nowadays.

"Yeah." He grinned, grabbing a menu from where it had been wedged between the booth and the napkin holder. "Is it okay if I order for you?"

I nodded, a blush rising to my cheeks. It was cute that he wanted to get me something. Just as long as he didn't get me the stereotypical girls-on-dates salad. I was famished and I wouldn't go for anything less than a thousand calories.

Okay, that was a bit of an overstatement. But I refused to eat any sort of salad. Sure, Danny was great and I didn't want to screw this up. But there was no way I would be eating a salad. Who cared about my physical shape - I just wanted some nice food.

"Two of my usuals, please." He told the waitress as she came up to our table. This lady was much older than the hostess, thankfully. She nodded with a smile, her eyes raking over me before turning back to Danny.

"What would you like to drink?"

Danny looked at me expectantly, giving me the freedom to choose. I ordered us water before the waitress smiled and, with a nod, made her way back to the kitchen.

"I'm so glad you came back for me." His whisper cuts through the silence as he makes eye contact with me. Somehow, this is even better than our kiss. I imagine myself sitting here forever in this moment, a smile dancing in his eyes, completely and overwhelmingly serene. It is an idea that leaves me feeling more content than I have in a long while.

"I am, too." I smile, grabbing his hand.

The meal goes by without much conversation. Danny is one of the first people that I've ever felt this comfortable with. I'm pretty sure we could have sat here for hours, not speaking, and it wouldn't have felt awkward. Nevertheless, we finished our food and headed out of the restaurant after what felt like a few minutes.