☆ Chapter 1 ☆

The cold night bit against my face. Apparently, wearing a jacket hadn't been enough. Next time I'd be sure to wear a scarf.

I wasn't sure where to go. I'm pretty sure that most eighteen-year-old girls usually stopped by their best friend's place right about now, but Whitney and I were fighting. As usual.

I eventually came across an old café a few blocks away. The sign hung on the door read "Open 24 Hours - Any coffee bought between 1-3 a.m. is half off." I took this as my invitation to get a cheap morning brew.

A little bell jingled above me as I walked in. The whole place was lit by dim lights, like some creepy horror movie. Except for the boy behind the counter. He was too pretty a face to be mauled by the demons of the night.

"Morning." He gave me a bright smile, setting down the drink that had been in his hand. "What can I get you?"

"What do you recommend?" I asked. He merely looked at me, staring until I raised an eyebrow at him. He then chuckled for a moment before continuing.

"I like my coffee black, but for you I'd recommend something... sweeter." He chuckled lightly again.

"Black's fine." It was like he was challenging whether or not I could take my coffee straight. And I never turned down a challenge. It was a dignity thing.

"Ok." He turned, setting up the machine to make my drink. He then turned back to me, a light taking over his bright blue eyes.

"You can have some of mine while you're waiting." He smirked, passing me his cup. I eyed him, and he shrugged. "Unless you don't want to."

"Why wouldn't I?" I challenged, daring him to look into my eyes. He took the dare, his stare intent.

"Because I make you... nervous?"

I scoffed. How full of himself could this guy get?

As a response to his challenge, I took a sip of his coffee, doing my best not to cringe at the taste. He was right - I did prefer my coffee sweet.

He chuckled again as he took my drink out of the machine. After slapping the lid onto mine, he took a sip of it, staring into my eyes the entire time. Mocking me.

"Hey!" I found myself gasping. Making a big deal out of nothing.

"What? Now we're square."

"Whatever." I told him, taking my drink from his hand as forcibly as possible without spilling the coffee inside. He raised an eyebrow at me, appearing to be amused.

"Whatever." He repeated, half laughing. I scoffed and rolled my eyes, though by now I had turned and there's no way he could have seen me do so. It was the thought that counted.

I took a sip of coffee as I walked out of the door, the small bell going off once again. Contrary to my expectations, the coffee was actually good. Sweet even.

That's when I realized that he had put cream and sugar in my coffee despite my protests. I looked back in through the window of the café. He was sipping his coffee once again, his mouth curled into a smile. The smile parted to form a laugh once he'd noticed me looking back at him.

I began to walk away, shaking my head as though it would get rid of the image of him.

Just as I was turning the corner onto another street, I heard the jingle of a bell and the thump of footsteps hitting pavement.

"Hey, wait a sec." I turned, noticing the way his brown hair fluttered around in the wind. He smiled again, putting a slip of folded paper into my hand. I didn't even have to check the paper to know it was his number.

"I'm not going to call you." I told him as he began to turn away.

I'm not sure what it was that had inclined me to say that, though I couldn't exactly take it back. He frowned, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Why not?" He sounded as though he'd never been rejected before. And, going by his looks, he probably hadn't.

"I don't even know your name." I huffed, knowing it was a lame reason. I didn't care how great he seemed to think he was; to me, he was just some brunette from the coffee shop down the street.

"It's Danny." He said cockily, smirking as he held out his hand for me to shake.

"Danny what?" I asked, purposely crossing my arms.

"Danny Phantom."

"Haha, very funny." He smiled and I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Danny Edge."

"Really? Still sounds fake to me."

"Well, regardless of what you think, it's my name." He told me, finally lowering his hand and putting it in his pocket. He didn't seem to be lying, but I still wasn't sure that he wasn't messing with me.

"Okay." I remarked plainly, waving him off. I honestly just wanted to go home at this point. Maybe even snuggle with a pillow and watch Netflix.

"See you later?" He asked as I began to walk away.

"Maybe."

~~~

(a/n) Hope you enjoyed the first chapter~ I'd love to hear any suggestions or constructive criticism~ Stay tuned for more updates :) xoxo, InsomniaWriting