☆ Chapter 7 ☆

(Cassie’s PoV)

It took everything I had not to race back to the cafe and try to find Danny again. When I was around him, I felt like I was back in highschool, despite the fact that I was only eighteen. I felt free again. 

Unfortunately, I had bigger issues to deal with at the moment. 

First of all, it took me ages to figure out where my house was. I would’ve used the map on my phone, but seeing as how I had failed to charge it last night, it was dead. I tried retracing my steps, making my way back to the pizza parlor and then to the park. Eventually, I made my way back to the cafe and my house afterwards.

Then, I had to deal with Tanden. And he wasn’t exactly a happy camper.

“Where the hell were you?” He asked after I walked in the door, almost immediately giving me a sense of déjà vu.

“The cafe.” I told him. My brother’s face almost immediately took on a puzzled look. “Then the park. Then the pizza parlor. Then I spent the night at a friend’s place.”

“I thought you and Whitney were fighting?” Tanden reminded me, looking as confused as ever. Before I had a chance to say anything, he continued. “Either way, you should’ve told me where you were.”

“My phone died.” I stated. It was the truth, and I proved it to him by taking my phone out of my pocket and placing it in his hands.

“Fine.” He sighed. His face seemed a lot calmer than when I had first walked in. “You’re off the hook this time.” He grabbed my arm as I walked past him. “This time.” He repeated, before releasing me and making his way to the kitchen.

I made my way to my room, feeling surprisingly happy. It was the most upbeat I had felt in the last few months. Since I’d moved in with Tanden.

Being in a good mood sure did wonders for my work ethic. As soon as I walked into my bedroom, I became determined to make it spotless. I began with the clothes scattered across the floor, and after three hours or so, the place practically shimmered and sparkled with cleanliness. 

“There.” I said to myself, feeling accomplished. The only thing left was the jacket I had woke up in yesterday. I went to dump the pockets out before tossing it in the washing machine. 

A small piece of paper fell out. Unsure of what was written on it, I put down my jacket and unfolded it. “Danny Edge” was scrawled on it in black ink, accompanied by what I assumed was his number. 

The thought of calling him sent my heart on a haywire. Would he be happy to hear my voice, or would he be upset that I left this morning? Would he want to hang out, or would he want absolutely nothing to do with me?

I groaned in frustration, falling face-first onto my bed. The possibilities were killing me, but a part of me didn’t want to risk it in fear of Danny reacting poorly. Though he’d never been mad at me up until this point, it’s not like we’d known each other very long. What if he was upset about the whole “show me your stomach” thing? I know I would be.

Eventually, I made up my mind. I’d call him in the morning. 

☆  ☆  ☆

“Hello, is this Danny Edge?” I asked once the receiver was picked up. I could feel myself biting my lip- my nerves were driving me insane. Even though I had only woken up a few minutes ago, I hadn’t been able to keep Danny off my mind.

“No.” Came a female voice. Had he given me the wrong number? Was this whole thing just a joke? Or maybe I'd dialed wrong.

“Oh, sorry, wrong number.” I went to hang up. 

“No, wait.” Came the girl. “This is Danny’s phone.”

“Oh.” I remarked simply. It was the only word that came to mind. I suppose Danny had had a girlfriend that he’d failed to mention. It’s not like we were all that close, anyway. I guess he hadn’t thought that it was important enough to tell me about. Or maybe I wasn’t important enough.

“Yeah, I’m Amanda.” The girl told me. “I must’ve grabbed his phone instead of mine when I saw him earlier.” I could hear her giggle, and with it, my heart breaking. She sounded gorgeous, like the girl I knew Danny deserved. Someone unlike me. 

“I can tell him you called?” She asked after a few moments of silence. She sounded annoyed. 

“No, no, that’s fine. Bye.”

“Suit yourself” She muttered, hanging up the receiver.

I dropped my phone on the floor, falling into my bed and snuggling with my giant stuffed cow from Cracker Barrel. I had gotten her when I was around fourteen, and I used to sleep with her every night. Now, though, I only cuddled with her when I was upset. At this moment, I was definitely upset.

“It looks like it’s just you and me, Maria.” I whispered in her plush ear, doing my best to stifle my tears. I pulled her closer to my body, as if she could protect me. “Just you and me."

☆  ☆  ☆

After moping around for a few hours, I forced myself onto YouTube. It was my getaway, A place I would go when I was upset. The usually upbeat people that I enjoyed watching usually helped put me in a better mood.

I aimlessly watched a couple of videos, unsure of what sort of material I was in the mood for. Suddenly, though, I remembered Paul mentioning something about a new channel with Danny. I searched up “ExclamationPointYT,” and surely enough, there it was. 

They seemed so happy on here. Not that they weren’t happy in real life. They were just a bit more… collected, I suppose.

Honestly, though, their videos made me laugh. I watched them for about an hour before subscribing. I fell in love with Yolanda and Kevin and all of the little characters they featured on their show. But most of all, I found myself falling for Danny.

“Damn it!” I groaned in frustration, turning off my phone and dropping it on my bed. Why couldn’t I get this boy off my mind? For goodness sake, I’d only known him for a day or two!

That’s when I decided to call up someone I hadn’t imagined I would be talking to again.

“Hey.” Whitney’s voice resounded after only one dial tone. I could practically hear her smirking on the other end of the line. “I knew you’d come crawling back to me."

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll be over in twenty.”

✩  ✩  ✩

(a/n)

Thanks so much for reading~! Don't forget to comment, vote and add this to your library~! I'd love to hear all of your opinions on the story so far :)

Quick Question: What do you think of Amanda?

And what do you think happened with Whitney?

Oh, and how do you guys picture Cassie?

Stay tuned for more updates soon~!

~Stay amazing~

Xoxo, InsomniaWriting