☆ Chapter 22 ☆

"I can't believe you're actually considering this!" Whitney was pacing around the room, throwing her hands around wildly as she spoke. "I mean really, isn't it a bit late to be thinking about college?"

"I'm just trying to do what's best for me." Despite Whitney's current state, I was lounging on her couch with a cup of tea. I'd already gone through this- considering what's best for my future and how it might affect those around me. But I eventually realized that this would affect my life most of all, so I should treat it as such

She stopped pacing, whipping herself around and grabbing my shoulders. "Look, Cas. I want what's best for you too. And what's best for you is staying here with your friends and your boyfriend and your happiness.

"That sounds like what's best for you."

Whitney shook her head. "It's best for your mental state. Plus, you don't want to be repaying your parents for the rest of your life. They'd be the ones paying for everything, right?"

I threw her arms off of me. "Stop trying to decide what's best for me! This is my decision and I will make it to the best of my ability."

"If you'll just let me help-"

"No, I'd rather you didn't."

Whitney let out a huff before crossing her arms. "Well, if you really want so little to do with me, I think it'd be best for you to find somewhere else to live until you move to college. Don't you agree?"

"Wait, Whitney, I never said that. I'm just saying it might be best if you gave me some time to think this through."

She shook her head, walking over to the hallway closet and grabbing a duffel bag. "You can have all the time you want somewhere else." She threw the bag at my feet before slipping on her jacket. "I'm going to work. Hope you're out before I'm back."

With that, she was out the door. I couldn't do anything but watch as yet another person walked out of my life.

☆ ☆ ☆

It was colder than I'd expected on the short walk to the boys' house. Of course, my jackets were at the bottom of the duffel bag and I had no hope for warmth other than to hug the bag as close to my person as possible.

When I finally arrived, things became even worse.

"Cassie?"

"Oh, hey, Paul." I suddenly felt extremely awkward. It would have been fine if Danny was the one answering the door, but Paul? I didn't need him seeing me in this state, with an overflowing duffel bag and a face red from crying.

He ushered me in the door. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"I, um..." I wasn't sure if I should let him in on all of the details surrounding Whitney and I's feud. After all, I didn't want to ruin any chances she might have with a good guy, regardless of how we may fight. "Whitney's parents are in town. Thought it might be best if I got out of the way and came here. If that's okay?"

He nodded. "You sure, though? You look like you've been crying."

"It's because it's so cold. The chill probably made my face red." By the look on his face he didn't believe me, but let the white lie pass. He was a good guy, not to mention the kind who didn't press you when things were better left unsaid.

"So, where's Danny?"

"He's actually not here." Paul took the bag from my hands, dropping it off in the hallway before turning back to me with a lopsided grin. "He's out of town, shooting videos with a couple of the guys." I vaguely remember him telling me all of this about a week ago.