☆ Chapter 20 ☆

It had been around a week since the whole set of events with Danny. Neither of us had had any time to hang out in person, seeing as he had work and I was currently looking for a job. Even so, we were developing a strong text relationship.

And yes, Danny had officially popped the relationship question. It was during a late skype call, in the middle of twenty questions. It would be nice if I could say it was anything special, but I was just glad that it happened.

As far as Whitney goes, I had told her about how I'd revealed my secret to Danny. She had fangirled for a bit, seeing as how I'd never really told anyone before. Then she'd hugged me and forced me to watch The Notebook with her.

It was morning; I was making nutella and banana crepes for Whitney and myself. So far, the day seemed bright. My favorite fluffy pajamas hung low on my hips, I was wearing a t-shirt without a bra, and I even had plans to drop off a few more job applications during the afternoon.

Then, the doorbell rang.

"Cas, can you get it?" Whitney mumbled from the couch, her arm gesturing towards the front door lazily. I sighed, using a spatula to move the crepes onto a plate and pushing the pan off the stove so it wouldn't burn while I was gone.

"Hello?" I asked, opening the door. The spatula fell from my hand and onto the floor as I saw who was at the door in front of me. I had been expecting to see a delivery man or even a solicitor of sorts.

I had not been expecting to come face-to-face with my parents.

"Morning, Hun." My mom smiled, though her eyes were shooting daggers at me. My dad nodded at her comment, his arm slung loosely around my mom's hips. I hadn't seen them in what felt like forever, and how they'd managed to grab ahold of Whitney's number was a mystery to me.

They'd visibly changed over the last few months. Mom had gotten blonde highlights in her once graying brown hair, the glasses that were perched on her nose replaced by what I assumed were contacts. Her skirt was inching up her mid-thigh, a style much less conservative than what I was used to. You could even tell that she'd lost weight.

My dad, on the other hand, seemed to have grown an inch or two. He towered over me, his usual t-shirt replaced by a plaid workshirt. He wore slacks and recently polished shoes, stomach noticeably smaller than before. Yet, his face seemed more wrinkled, his smile tighter. Maybe it was a side effect of always maintaining his newfound perfect posture.

"It's been a while." My dad added after a few moments of me gaping at them.

"Who is it, Cas?" Whitney asked, her light footsteps padding on the wooden floors. "Why the hell is there a spatula on the floor?" She continued, picking up the utensil and wagging it under my nose.

My dad cleared his throat, my mom appearing visibly pained by Whitney's light cuss. "Hi, mister and missus Hart!" Whitney used the most upbeat voice she could manage in an attempt to lighten the mood, but I swear it became even more uptight.

"Hello Whitney." My mom struggled for a bit in an attempt to form a proper sentence. "Good to see you."

"You too." Whitney was visibly clenching her teeth at this point. "Would you like to come in?"

My dad nodded, tightening his grip on my mom's hip. "Yes, thank you." He always had been the tamer of my parents, less likely to cause conflict. Personally, I was just grateful to have escaped my best friend's obvious attitude towards my even less inviting mother.

We led the couple into the living room, allowing them to settle on the loveseat before allowing ourselves to get comfortable on the sofa. "So, what brings you here?" I speak up before any other conflicts have a chance to arise.

"Oh, we were in the neighborhood." My mom bit sarcastically. "It's not as though we live two hours away or anything. Just wanted to check up on our lovely kids."

"Sorry?" I asked, honestly confused by her apparent overdose of sarcasm.

"Well," My mom began, flipping her hair over her shoulder and flashing me an overly-wide smile. "We came around to post bail for our son because our amazing daughter couldn't contain her emotions."

"Excuse me?" I took a deep breath in order to control my anger before continuing. "Tanden not only attacked me, but Whitney. We're lucky we weren't seriously injured."

"Be that as it may, you didn't have to cause trouble for everyone else. I mean, really, Cas? Shouldn't the drama have ended in high school?"

"Miranda." My dad patted my mom's knee with a light sense of urgency. "I think that's enough."

"You're right." She smirked at me. "Besides, getting Tanden out of jail wasn't our only reason for visiting. We wanted to speak to you, too."

"About?"

"College." My dad said, his smile genuine. "Since your mother's classes have ended and you've moved out, we've both been promoted!" I couldn't help but smile at how excited he sounded. "We have enough to send you to college! Of course, there would still be student loans, but soon enough we should have enough to cover at least four years!"

"I thought I couldn't go to college?" I smiled back at them, remembering our conversation from less than a year ago. "I mean, it costs a lot, and I'm only just now applying for jobs. I'm not sure that I'm really in the right place for that." Not to mention I'd have to get a GED if I ever wanted to get accepted.

My mom's smirk grew, causing me to look away. She was so much more menacing than I remembered her being. "Well, you know, college could be a great way of properly introducing yourself into society. Wouldn't it be nice to actually fit in for once?"

I flinched at her words. Fitting in had always been difficult, even before I started going on my little rampages, and she knew that better than anyone else. There was a time when I'd even go to her for help. Now, though, I knew that would never be a possibly.

"No, thank you." I said simply, standing from my place on the couch. I felt Whitney rise behind me, placing a hand on my shoulder for support. A part of me had actually forgotten that she'd been standing there, but I was grateful to have her backing me up. "Actually, I think you should leave now."

My mom scowled, venom in her eyes. Dad, on the other hand, merely looked like a lost puppy. If there was anyone I would go to college and succeed for, it would be my dad. As long as my mom was around, though, I knew that would never happen.

Luckily, they stood, making their way out the door without a second glance. Whitney pushed her hands through mine, causing me to realize that they'd curled into fists. She leaned her head on my shoulder, reminding me to take deep breathes.

"Everything will be okay." She whispered. "I promise."

☆ ☆ ☆

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow~!

~Stay Amazing~

xoxo, InsomniaWriting