08

"Stop touching that!-"

Dayeon faintly heard Chaehyun's voice as she opened the door into the apartment. She spotted Chaehyun in the kitchen, making a snack for herself. She heaved out a long, heavy sigh as she entered, soaked and drenched in nature's frigid shower. Chaehyun gazed at Dayeon, who just walked in and her eyes widened at the unfortunate sight.

"Oh my- All that for a lighter?" Chaehyun approached the younger, her hands reaching to softly wrap around Dayeon's neck.

"Is it warm?"

Dayeon nodded her head, a bit flustered from the sudden action. That was until she felt completely dragged by the neck and shoved further across the room with such violence.

"Great! Go shower, you're getting the floor wet." Chaehyun complained.

"Goodness.." Dayeon rubbed her neck. She left to do as told, but didn't forget to toss the purple lighter to Chaehyun before proceeding to the restroom.

"How many times have I-"

"Who are you talking to?" Dayeon peeked out from a corner of a wall. She came fresh out of the shower and dressed in her usual comfortable "home clothes." The brunette approached the peach haired girl in the kitchen, eyes reeking of curiosity. To Chaehyun, she looked like a puppy which had lost its sense and Chaehyun couldn't help but smile at the resemblance.

"I was talking to myself." Chaehyun's fingers traced along the edge of the kitchen's island counter as she got closer to Dayeon. The brunette felt uncertain of Chaehyun's response. Chaehyun usually wasn't one to talk to herself- unless she did it a lot in private and Dayeon never knew.

"Oh! I made you some warm tea." Chaehyun brought the cup of tea over to Dayeon. Dayeon gladly took it- or was gladly going to take it. As soon as a pad of her finger touched the cup, it burned like hell and as she jerked her hand back, a quick hiss of agony leaving her mouth.

"Sorry, I forgot to tell you it's hot." Chaehyun set the cup down. She grasped Dayeon's wrist and ran the sink with cold water. She forced the brunette's hand under the water and looked at the girl, her eyes full with concern.

"I'm alright, Chae." Dayeon reassured the older, but came to ask, "That cup is burning as hot as hell and you're not reacting to it?"

"My mom." Chaehyun answered shortly with a laugh, successfully getting a laugh out of Dayeon as well.

"Fair enough." Dayeon watched Chaehyun turn the tap off and dry her hand with a small towel.

Unexpectedly, Chaehyun just barely kissed the brunette's finger before sending her off to whatever Dayeon wanted to do. Chaehyun seemed to be unbothered by the action and Dayeon figured that maybe she should be unbothered as well. They've been the closest friends to the point where they'd claim a kiss would be platonic between them. There would be almost no point in confessing, but still, Dayeon wouldn't dare to risk it.

She sat on the couch, bringing her legs up to hug to her chest. Not long after, Chaehyun decided to sit next to Dayeon, but beforehand, she placed the cup of tea on the coffee table in front of them. She took her lighter in hand and played with it, letting the fire either blaze for a while or for a short amount of time before lighting it again.

"How come you asked for a lighter?" Dayeon blurted.

"My father was a smoker." Chaehyun paused as she stared deeply into the fire, as if there was something mesmerizing in it. "He didn't mind smoking around me when I was young, even though I'd complain to him about the smell. I honestly didn't care about his deal with smoking, but little me always watched him light his cigarette. Every chance I could get. I liked the fire for some reason I don't know of myself, and I still do. There's just something about it, but not a lot. You know?" Chaehyun briefly explained as she stuck right beside Dayeon and rested her head on the brunette's shoulder.