13

"At least she was nice enough to give me my own.. grave.. I guess." She mumbled quietly. Chaehyun turned to the frozen girl, "I'm a ghost. I've been one since the day we saw each other across the field."

"Your jokes suck."

Chaehyun's ear perked up, not expecting that sort of response or reaction out of Dayeon. Of course, she wouldn't believe her at first. "Wh- I'm being serious."

Dayeon rolled her eyes, "You know, lying isn't exactly healthy, Chae."

"What? I'm not lying." Chaehyun let go of Dayeon's hand, "I'm telling the truth."

"No, you're not dead. You can't be, so quit the act." Dayeon tensed.

"You and I both know you're denying it. Why don't you quit the act? I know for a fact you know I'm being serious." Chaehyun crossed her arms as she watched the younger slowly turn her back on Chaehyun. Her head barely hung low.

Waves of grief immediately crashed against Dayeon with no mercy, maybe even drowning her. Denial was her best friend at the moment. It was hard for her to believe the Chaehyun right before her is a ghost. The months they've spent together felt all too real, maybe even way too real. It was hard for her to even continue the conversation with Chaehyun. Learning about the death of her dearest friend- about the death of her love interest from its ghost was too much for her to handle already. It would definitely leave more than a scar on Dayeon. For life.

"Sometimes I wish.. that you didn't know me too well.."

Chaehyun heard a sniff coming from Dayeon. "Do I need to prove it to you?" Chaehyun repositioned herself, standing in front of the younger. Dayeon didn't risk locking eyes.

"I- No. It's starting to make sense.. Why you said not to tell anyone you're back, why you isolated yourself and stayed in my apartment room, why you didn't appear in the camera shots.. What the fuck.?" As much as Dayeon didn't want to believe it, it all added up too well for her liking.

"You're taking this smoother than I thought, despite the amount of tears you're crying." Chaehyun cupped Dayeon's face yet again and wiped some of the girl's tears. If anything now, Dayeon would want to let the touch of Chaehyun's soft hands linger on her for a good while.

"I have a lot to say.. so, just listen to me."

God, it hurt Chaehyun to see Dayeon like this, her face already expressing how miserableness and hopelessness had come crashing down to her like an airplane. On Dayeon's hand, she really couldn't look the girl in the eyes or even calm down to attentively listen to the older.

"Where should I start.? Goodness." Chaehyun may or may not have felt swamped. Chaehyun took a deep breath, Dayeon naturally following along with her- honestly, the blonde needed one too.

"Okay, so.. Remember the day we saw each other again, I told you it'd been a week since I was back? I lied. It had been a year already. I did come back when I said I would." Chaehyun gently held both of Dayeon's hands, not only needing to comfort the younger, but herself as well.

"You know, I lied a lot to you. Like that time, like when I said I broke my phone as an excuse, like when I said your camera was simply broken, and like when I said I was talking to myself in your apartment. It was unfortunate for both you and me-"

"How did you die?" Dayeon blurted in a weak whisper. The look in her eyes was nearly lifeless.

"I was getting there." Chaehyun whispered back and cleared her throat. "I died in this field, this very spot. You know, Youngeun.. right? She picked me up from the airport and brought me here because she wanted to show me this place. I was looking out into the horizon while Youngeun stood behind me. The moment I turned around.." Chaehyun's voice shook. She paused, feeling herself weaken as she recollected the scene of the murder.