Into the First Dome

Chapter VII

SOMETHING HARD SLAMMED INTO Joey's ribcage. She moaned and drew her legs close to her chest from the pain that wrecked her body, but felt too dazed to respond appropriately.

"Get ... up!"

The harsh voice was familiar, but the fog in her mind kept her from placing the words with the face they belonged to. She pried open her heavy eyelids, and sunlight met her pupils. A noise fluttered through her ears sounding similar to what she had envisioned a bird would make. Her hands slithered underneath her torso, and she gritted her teeth as she pushed herself up into a kneeling position feeling her whole body ache.

Through blurred eyes, she looked down at her fist as she felt a strange material lying against her palm. Forcing her fingers apart, she found the crumpled up piece of paper lying in hand, and she let out a sigh of unbelief. Fingering for her pocket, she shoved the paper inside, and slowly raised her head.

Squinting, she stared up into the azure sky. It was so bright that her eyes watered, but she kept from shielding them as a smile spread across her face. Sunlight. Catching the small glimpse she had on the tram made her yearn to feel its warmth, and that smell ... She took a big whiff. It was the same as the description in her books. Since Ignisha had turned their world into a wasteland, she had never once seen a tree except in picture books. Her gaze shifted down and she found herself kneeling on what had to be grass. Reluctantly, she ran her hand along the soft blades. She could barely remember grass, but the sight of this world nearly brought tears to her eyes. "It's ... beautiful," she whispered.

Feeling an ache erupt through her abdomen, she swiftly moved a hand to the spot and turned her head to the side as something moved from the corner of her eye. Standing there was someone she recognized, the blondes hair sparkling from the suns rays, though Heather didn't look as equally glad to see her.

Unexpectedly, a fist flew across Joey's cheek, the swing so forceful that it knocked her from her knees and her shoulder met the grassy dirt. Giving a shocked expression, her hand flying to her cheek, Joey shouted, "What the heck, Heather?"

"Look what you dragged me into!" Heather yelled in return, flinging her hands out to the side.

Joey pushed herself up onto her elbows, recalling the recent events, and the happiness she had seeing this place diminished. "The First Dome," she said lowly.

"That's right!" Heather responded with a sarcastic tone, drawing out the first word.

Joey eyed her. "How would you know that?"

"Well, geez, do you know of anywhere else in the world with grass?"

"Well, no, but I didn't expect the Dome to either," Joey argued.

Heather hands squeezed tight into fists. "I know because some man come to my home telling me that I had to pay for what Joey Richards had done, and that if I didn't go with him then he would kill my family." She snarled. "I thought it had to be a mistake. I told him he had the wrong girl. That Joey Richards was a nice girl who could never do anything wrong." She stomped a foot forward. "Well, guess what? He attacked me! And turned me into this!" She shoved her hands in Joey's face.

Joey stared at Heather's fingernails seeing her vibrant French manicure, but Joey raised a brow. Even if she could never afford to do her own nails, she could still recognize that this wasn't the normal manicure. The tip of Heather's nails appeared to have been dipped in gold dust instead of a crisp white, but Joey was confused at why Heather felt the need to show her. She furrowed her brow annoyed and angry. "Why am I staring at your nail polish?"