Pikulo

Chapter XXXII

TOSSING AND TURNING, DAVID knew he wasn't going to find the sleep his body desperately needed. The ground was rough, bumpy, and prodded his back, causing his healing wounds to experience unexpected discomfort.

With a huff, he twirled from his side to his back, nearly rolling on top of Ella as he hadn't realized how close she was, and glared up at the ceiling sparkling with its blue and purple hues. He couldn't turn his mind off. Thinking of Lucinda and how she had tricked him made his blood boil. A sudden shiver from Ella made him realize how much condensation his anger created and he calmed himself down.

Sighing, he sat up straight with a grimace. His left hand slowly made his way to his aching tricep where a bandage had been wrapped around the small lacerations. He rotated his shoulder and glanced at the matching bandage on the opposite arm. A bitter sadness pinged his chest. He hated himself for ever believing Lucinda. He knew that Joey wasn't in control of herself, and yet he trusted a witch over his best friend? His gaze slowly ventured towards her. She looked so peaceful in her unconscious state, but knew that there was nothing peaceful going on inside her body.

Looking to Joey's left, he found Lucinda lying in the dirt asleep close to the edge of the lake. He arched a brow, and glanced from left to right to make sure everyone was fast asleep before crawling his way over to the redhead. He scanned her body, noticing how much paler she looked than earlier. Kneeing beside her, he gently touched her shoulder and gave her a soft push. "Lucinda," he whispered. She didn't move, and so he shook her again. Still nothing. He gave her shoulder a once-over before letting out a barely audible sigh. Her bandaged was soaked through, and he imagined that the woman had probably passed out from blood loss and exhaustion.

Leaning back on his heels, his back to the lake, his eyes found their way to Thomas who laid leaning against the boulder beside Joey, his head dipped forward signaling he was fast asleep.

Averting his gaze, David shifted to his rear and pulled his legs up to his chest. He rotated in a half-circle on his bottom until he was facing the lake. Staring out into the gentle waters, the colors reflected off the surface and danced on the walls and ceiling. It was truly the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. There was nothing of such vibrate colors in the Slums, and Ignisha had long wiped out anything bright.

As he stared at the rippling motions on the wall, a sudden fear entered the forefront of his mind, and his heartbeat quicken. He swallowed a lump in his throat remembering clearly the Nokida's face and how it would forever haunt his nightmares, the agonizing pain of the claws along his skin, and the very feeling of poison coursing through his blood. A drop of sweat dripped from his brow, and he recognized that his fear had gotten the best of him. He lowered his legs, his boots on the very edge of the water, and wiped his clammy hands on his pants. He pushed the thought away and let his ice form return.

David knew he wouldn't find sleep tonight. He needed to walk away, find some peace and quiet, but ... a smirk tugged at the corner of his lip. He knew how dangerous it was outside and quickly dismissed the idea, but he couldn't just sit here. Not around Joey, Thomas, Lucinda, or even Michelle. He needed to get away from the people who brought intrusive thoughts to mind merely from glancing at their faces.

Quietly standing to his feet, he turned around and looked up the incline to find it pitch black. It was well lit down here from the glow casted by the lake, but up there ... he wouldn't be able to see anything. He didn't have an ability like Alex where he could just open the palm of his hand and have immediate light. Even if he didn't leave the cave, there still wouldn't be enough light just a few feet up the hill. A light bulb went off in his head and his eyes shifted down towards Michelle as he recalled the box of matches.