Lucinda's Plan

Chapter XXX

THOMAS SHIELDED HIS EYES from the blinding light that reflected off the snow. Thankfully, it only took a few seconds for the light to die away, but his heart pounded as he jerked his head towards Joey to find her lying on the ground, strands of her brown hair draped her face.

"Joey!" He struggled to regain his feet as his boots slid in the snow, and he ended up half-crawling to reach her. His knees pounded the snow, and he lifted her head off the ground. She felt heavy in his hand, and he pushed the loose strands of her hair back—he could see her peaceful face clearly as the animatronic sun began its ascend.

"Joey?" He shook her roughly trying to get her to wake. When she didn't, he lowered her back to the ground and laid his head on her chest listening for a heartbeat. His eyes widened and the the blood drained from his face when he didn't find one.

Sitting back on his heels, his head slowly turned up towards David. Glaring at the younger boy's shock, Thomas shouted. "What did you do?" Anger boiled his blood as David stared down at Joey's still body.

David shook his head as he took a step backwards, and glass crunched beneath his boot. "I-I didn't—"

"I told you to wait!" Thomas shouted. He peered down at the shattered glass beside David's boot and he pointed. "What was in that?"

David blinked and swallowed before stealing a quick glance down. "Uh, I don't know. I just—"

Thomas jumped up and clenched his hands into fists, feeling the cut in his skin as his ice shards descended from the knuckles in both hands. He didn't have the patience to listen to David's excuses.

David took a couple steps back, and his voice shook as he spoke, "Now, wait a minute, Thomas."

"Wait like you did for Joey?" Thomas interrupted through gritted teeth. His voice rose as he stepped closer to David and wrath laced his voice. "She was doing the best she could with a bad situation."

"I didn't know this was going to happen to her!" David fired back. "I thought I was freeing her! Joey had lost her mind! You saw that! That thing was destroying her, and if I had waited any longer, she was going to hurt one of our—"

"I was getting through to her!"

"It was taking over!" David exclaimed. He stuttered and cleared his throat. "W-what I did s-saved her from being consumed by its power."

"But you didn't save her!" Thomas screamed. "She's dead!"

David's ice form immediately melted as his jaw dropped in a small gasp. "No," he said softly, shaking his head. "Th-that wasn't supposed to happen. You're lying!"

Unable to control himself, Thomas let out a shout of anger and charged towards David with his shards aimed directly at David's torso. He swiped his left hand sideways intending to slice David's abdomen, but David quickly leapt back out of the way.

"Thomas, stop!" David recalled his ice, his appearances swiftly reverting back to his ability, and he threw both hands forward. A strong force of snow and ice shot forth and pummeled Thomas.

Thomas raised his hands in front of his face to protect himself, but winced as the sharp edge of a piece of ice left a small gash on his forearm. He lowered his hands to the side and growled. "You'll pay for what you did."

David grimaced as he lowered his arms—a clear sign that his triceps were in pain. He held his right hand out to the side and a sword of ice appeared. Grasping the handle with both hands tightly, he steadied his feet. "I don't want to fight you, Thomas."