Attack

Chapter XVI

JOEY FLINCHED AND SPRANG upright, startled as a shriek filled the air. Her eyes frantically scoured her friends to locate the source of the scream, and seconds later, Jenny jumped up and backed away from the surrounding trees. It didn't take long for Kathleen to also scramble to her feet, and by this time, everyone except for Joey and Ella hurried to their feet and stared into the shadowed forest.

Joey squinted as Kathleen and Jenny bumped up against Alex, who then spun their way. Joey's eyes widened, her jaw dropped, and her heartbeat quickened as a wolf trudged out of the shadows. Its gray hair stood on the back of its neck and its low growl showed its jagged teeth.

Her head flung to the left as another wolf, this one brown, emerged into the pale light, and Brianna and Chase slowly backed away. Its claws scraped the ground and drool dangled from its jaw. Its ears perked as it stiffened its hind legs and raised its rear end, slopping its back downward in a strike position.

Joey swiftly shifted into a crouch getting ready to stand when a black wolf, larger than the other two, appeared on her right and she froze. Its yellow eyes scanned them in a way that made her feel uncomfortable. No telling if Agcorp was on the other end of this wolf peering at them through its eyes.

Hearing another rumbling growl coming from behind, she and Ella twisted around at the same time. Ella fell backwards in the snow, as another brown wolf emerged from the darkness. She quickly scooted away, but Joey remained squatted beside David, summoning her daggers for protection. She gulped, terrified as the black wolf's head swung her way.

The ground suddenly began to quake as shouting entered her ears. Taking the chance to shift her eyes past the wolf, she watched as Alex chucked balls of fire at the ten or more wolves that advanced on the group. Fear sent her heart lurching as the group commenced in battle with the wolves.

Gritting her teeth, she gripped the handle of her transparent daggers and shouted at the wolf that stalked closer. It let out a horrific battle cry and leapt forward. With a quick upward thrust of her dagger, she pierced its throat and used what strength she had to shove its body aside to keep it from landing on David. Instead, it collided with the ground on its side and didn't get up.

Dipping back down into her crouch, she twirled in a circle on the balls of her feet to where she now faced David. He still remained leaning against the tree unconscious and slopped over.

She returned her gaze towards the battle as a wolf jumped in the air aimed for Heather. The rebels fingertips glowed as she swiped her hand across the air—gold sparks trickling from her nails as they followed her motion—and a long, thick vine sprang from the ground and slammed into the body of the wolf. It flew back several feet and skidded in the snow leaving a long trail of grass in its stead.

Quickly turning her head, Joey watched as Michelle flung arrow after arrow, each one finding its mark in a wolves skull, but her eyes widened as she noticed a wolf creeping up behind the leader.

"Michelle!" Joey yelled, trying to warn her of the coming doom.

Michelle released an arrow and it found its mark in a wolf that had charged Brianna, but she must not have heard Joey's shout because she lowered her bow for a split second and eyed Joey just as the wolf pounced on her back. She landed on her face in the snow and struggled beneath its weight.

Joey clenched her jaw as she watched, confused as to why Michelle hadn't heard the approaching wolf.

Michelle jerked back an elbow ramming it into the wolf's neck causing its stance to falter, and she hurriedly rolled to her back. The wolf repositioned itself giving a low grumble as it leaned forward, its razor teeth mere inches from her nose. Michelle craned her neck to look up and locate where her bow had flown; it had landed about two feet above her head. She reached for it with her free hand while the other now pushed against the wolfs neck trying to keep it from taking a chunk out of her face, but her arm shook as her strength quickly failed.