Cave Lake

Chapter XXXI

MICHELLE SWIPED SWEAT FROM her brow and looked up into the sun that was now starting to descend over the tall trees. Another day had already come and gone, and thankfully without any interrupts to their journey. Twisting her head to the side, she found several exhausted looks, and Alex's arms looked a little shaky under Joey's weight. "We should start looking for a place to rest for the night."

"No, we keep moving," Lucinda argued. She pushed passed Michelle and continued on her walk.

Michelle's eyes narrowed. "Last I checked, I'm the one in charge here." She jogged forward and stepped in front of Lucinda halting her. "You'll do as I say."

"You want me to heal Joey, right?" Lucinda snapped. "Then I need a safe place to do that, and that isn't here."

"You've been saying that all day," Michelle accused. "I'm starting to think you're just waiting around for her to die." Her fingers itched to grab an arrow. "I've played enough of your games." Lucinda huffed with an eye roll, and stepped around Michelle. Michelle quickly rammed a hand into Lucinda's shoulder, halting her.

Lucinda sighed and turned her head to face Michelle. "Look, I know you and your wee friends there haven't traveled this far in the Dome out of cowardliness. So ..." Her voice lowered. "If you want me to keep your secret then you'll stop pretending to be the fearless leader and listen to me for once. This ground has been soaked in the blood of our fallen friends so yes ... We'll keep going."

Lucinda shoved Michelle's hand away and pressed on. Michelle stared at Lucinda for a good few minutes as the witch stepped over fallen logs and pushed her way through brush, despite the fact that she had no hands to keep them from scratching at her face.

Michelle had no way of knowing whether Lucinda was telling the truth or not, but from their past history, she never told the truth. Yet she was right about one thing. Michelle and her crew had stayed away from this part of the Dome, and for good reasons too. "Fine," she agreed, reluctantly.

Michelle continued their trek for a few more miles until the gentle sound of slow moving water sputtered in her ears. She stopped abruptly, listening for the direction of the sound. A few words from Nathan fluttered past, but she ignored him as she listened intently to detect the water. Without replying, she took off in a sprint through the woods, pushing back brush and jumping over logs. It didn't take her long to find a stream that flowed horizontally along their path.

"Water!" Bellamy laughed, excitedly. He, along with the others, made their way to the stream to quench their throats, but Michelle held out her arm smacking Bellamy in the torso. He looked at her offended and baffled.

"Not here," she replied without bothering to look at him as her gaze followed the stream and met a large cave entrance. He took a step back, and she followed the flow towards the dark hole in the side of rather large hill. She stole a glance at the glistening water in the dying sun and her lips suddenly felt dried and cracked. She hadn't even noticed that she had become thirsty, and at that observation her stomach grumbled loudly. She placed a hand over her gnawing gut and swallowed.

Twisting her head around, she found Rufus and Brutus bringing up the rear; Brutus now able to walk alone, but with a very noticeable limp. "Rufus!" Rufus looked her way. "Take a partner and gather some dinner. We'll take shelter in the cave." Rufus playfully saluted before taking off.

"Wait! I'll come too!" Brutus called. He hobbled towards Rufus, and Rufus didn't reject him but rather smiled, seemingly happy to have his brother along side him.

"You're just letting them go alone?" Kathleen asked, throwing her hands out to the side. "They haven't even proven they have an ability to protect themselves!"