Agcorp's Lab Rats

Chapter XXIII

JOEY SAT WITH HER back against a tree and her knees pulled up to her chest, picking at the blade of grass she held. There wasn't much grass here in these swamp lands, but she didn't think she could ever get tired of seeing the beauty of grass, trees, and sunlight. Yes, even in a horrible place like this, surrounded by terrible beasts, it was comforting to find growth amongst all the death.

Someone plopped down beside her, but she didn't have to look up to realize it was Thomas. "You guys seem like you've been through a lot for this David guy," he began. "I mean, Michelle was willing to kill."

"So were you if I remember correctly," she shot back, peeling the grass in half.

Thomas smirked. "Fair enough." He looked away and silence filled the air for a few peaceful seconds. "So, does he ... mean a lot to you?"

"You don't ask someone a personal question like that!" Bellamy said, roughly. She heard a muffled cry and he slid down the bark taking a seat next to Thomas.

She finally glanced right at the two boys, noticing the gash and dried blood on Thomas's forehead. Her shoulders slumped. "Oh, I'm sorry. I should've made sure you were alright after—"

"After I was almost eaten?' Bellamy asked, leaning forward to get a better look at her and rubbing just above his bandaged ankle. "Apology accepted." He leaned back, and Thomas rolled his eyes.

She let a small grin escape. "I'm Joey, by the way." She extended her hand past Thomas, and Bellamy accepted her hand in a firm shake.

"Bellamy. Though ..." He squinted. "I think somehow you already knew that." He shot Thomas a glance from the corner of his eyes.

Her brow pulled together as she studied him. "So, how'd you get tossed in here?"

Thomas snorted and smacked Bellamy on the shoulder. "Dude was stupid! That's how!"

"I wasn't going to let you fight those soldiers alone," Bellamy argued.

Thomas made a 'tisk' sound. "No, so instead, you went and got yourself killed too."

"Caleb wouldn't have left you," Bellamy said, and Thomas's face suddenly softened.

The boys ceased their arguing and stared at each other for a few seconds before Thomas soft yet stern reply came. "Caleb could help in a fight. You can't." Bellamy averted his gaze, clearly hurt by his words.

Joey fumbled with her teeth using her tongue, until Bellamy broke the awkward silence. "So, this is the Dome, huh?" His head made a big sweep of the surroundings. "Where everyone and everything tries to kill you?"

"Well, not exactly—"

"Apparently people don't kill each other," Thomas interrupted.

Bellamy scoffed. "Clearly someone didn't get the memo."

"That was different," Joey defended. "She'd been poisoned. Honestly, I have a feeling poison is the biggest thing worry about in here."

Bellamy nodded. "Oh, no! It all makes perfect sense!" Even though he hid it well, she could still sense the sarcasm in his tone. "And the ..." He thrust a thumb behind his back towards the hut. "... witch lady? She doesn't kill either, I suppose?" Again, he used his hands dramatically as he said, "So what happened to that other guy who made the other guy angry was just an accident?"

"I think we got off track here." Thomas placed a hand on Bellamy's chest, pushing him away. "I was asking about David."

She averted her gaze, staring back down at the blade of grass still in her hand and she twirled it between her fingers. "If you want an honest answer ..." She threw the blade down and looked back at Thomas. "He's just a friend. A close friend, but ... I would never forgive myself if he died in here."